Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

This Dosnt Look Good

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Recently I have been experiencing ususual things happen in my computer.

Firsly, There seems to be something running but I cant figure out exactly what it is because I have use HijackThis and ctrl+alt+del but it just looks like system processes. I saying this because every few minutes a hour glass comes next to my pointer. :)

Secondly, I have had loads and loads of port scan attacks every few minutes from the same ip address I have looked it up and it seems to just be a normal ISP however I am more SUSPICIOUS because it is scanning ports 33448 all the way to 33452. :)

Thirdly, Sometimes My Sygate Firewall dosnt work on startup it says that it has encountered an erroe and needs to stop. :ph34r:

If Anyone Here Has Any Ideas As To What Is Going On I Would Be Most Grateful. :ph34r:

Thanks For Your Time In This Matter :tazz: :)

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
You know the drill. do all the adaware scans,sypbot, onlie virusetc, then post HJT log in malware forum. The xperts in the malware forum can catch stuff that we'll miss.

Doesnt sound good. :tazz:

best regards,

EMCguy

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have sp2 installed activate windows firewall and then remove Sygate and see what happens. I tried Sygate many times on 98 SE and XP but have tons of problems. Lately I removed it for the last time because I got sick of it.

If this doesnt help then I fully agree with EMCguy.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Yh i have XP SP2 installed but the XP firewall isnt really that good because of the outbound traffic it allows most stuff !

I did the scans and nothing more than a few tracking cookies were found !

:tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am aware of MS firewall limitation. I suggested to ativate it and remove Sygate to find out if it is Sygate that causes the problem, while being protected, meanwhile, by MS. After you find the problem you can choose whichever firewall you wish.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I agree that the Windows firewall is pretty inadequate compared to Zone alarm. Why dont you get rid of sygate and try Zone alarm.

The fact that you are getting all of these port scans sort of worries me espcially since they are from the ISP and on the same ports. Do you use those ports? can you disable them?

I'd recommend getting a clean bill of health from the malware guys on your HJT log before I'd go alot further.

what have you done to your computer lately? changed hardware? changed Software?