Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

started with winfixer2005

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
no i was looking for the 1x antivirus sight and got a ton of other antivirus andvertising

Advertisements

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
already got 27 things on the virus log and it is into the 3rd hour

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Our Common language separates us again. 1 x anything means 1 of anything. Just like # means number to you, so 1 x antivirus means one antivirus. I use AVG (Alvaro Villa Galvis) and I find it really good. I have used Norton and McAfee in the past and found both not to be what I wanted.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
ok got ya i have mcafee going now i have used avg also -- they all seem to do mediocre jobs though. Someone told me a specific port on th e firewall is used by most viruses and malware is this true?

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
30+ virus and 203 errors and still going -- does it remove and fix automaticly or do i have to do it alll manually?

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
About the port number being used by virii, well they don't just use one, they use many, but a firewall set up correctly will block any ping command. Years ago, virii tended to use one port more than others, but nowadays it's any of the ones designated for outside incoming instructions and communications and that might be very many.

MWAV will probably just report. I don't use it often because it is so time consuming, and the reports are huge, but it is rated as one of the best, and in your case very necessary. When you post it, just check that all of it fits onto a page. If there is some over, post a second page with the balance.

I did one yesterday that took me over two hours to analyse it was so bad. I don't yours will be though.

Don't forget Ewido log also, perhaps should have run them the other way round really.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 08 October 2005 - 02:05 PM.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I attached the file zipped. I can not post it as it is tooooooooo big 19mb to be exact -- I zipped it and it is only 1mb. Ewideo is going to happen tomorrow as I am exhausted and going to bed.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
sorry it claims there is not enough file space --- i have it zipped to 1 mb --it was originally a txt file can I email it to you directly?

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
It shouldn't be that big.

Check my instructions again.

Ensure that you did NOT scan for registry entries and that you are only sending the part of the report for infected files.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i of course scanned the reg -- rescanning now -- I was not able to sort through the log and find the virus list so I will just rescan hopefully this will be smaller to sort through.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Do the Ewido scan first, there will be fewer files for MWAV to scan.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
we are 2+ hours into the scan should I stop it or let it finish?

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Let it finish.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
no luck I can not get just the virus log -- won't let me copy it from the window and it does not end up in the txt doc -- you have to go through the whole report doing a search for virus. I will do the ewido thing and try again -- at least it will be e smaller file.

medic

medic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
no luck I can not get just the virus log -- won't let me copy it from the window and it does not end up in the txt doc -- you have to go through the whole report doing a search for virus. I will do the ewido thing and try again -- at least it will be e smaller file.