Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Issues

• Please log in to reply

dconnah

dconnah

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently put together a computer and originally it worked fine. I got hold of a better motherboard, and so I fitted it. It now appears that the motherboard is defective (CMOS Ram test failed as well as Clock Ticking Test, Alarm and System Timer) So it appears this motherboard is useless (Unless someone knows how to resolve this)

Now, however, when I put the original motherboard back in to return to the original working configuration, there is no display coming up on the monitor. I know that the Monitor, RAM, graphics card and processor all work properly as well as the other components, but when turning on the computer, I get nothing on the monitor at all.

Please can someone shed some light on these problems for me?

Thanks a lot

Dave Connah

Advertisements

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Im not an expert by any means but sounds like your ram has gone because i had a simular problem once and it was one of my 2 ram sticks that crapped itself, sometimes the pc would run but only got a black screen and sometime the ram would kick in and the pc would start, so if you have some extra ram around you could change it over. (using a anti-static strap)

If that does not help i would suggest waiting on warriorscot or other techs to come past your post :tazz:

jm312005

jm312005

• Pip
  • 3 posts
take it all apart again, and reassemble slowly and make sure , even though u know u did, that everything is securely in its sockets, and also make sure that your motherboard isnt grounding out on the case