Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless router connection

• Please log in to reply

Teri33

Teri33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Westell VersaLink Model 327W router for DSL. It works fine and I am able to connect wirelessly with an excellent signal--UNTIL my neighbors turn their cable router on. Then my laptop (Windows XP) tells me that there are more than one available wireless network connections and will no longer connect to the internet. I've tried to secure my connection to just my router, but I'm obviously not doing this correctly. Also, someone told me there is a way to change the router's frequency, so that you do not compete with a neighbor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :tazz:

Advertisements

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
yea, go into your router's config page and change it's wireless channel (thereby chaning it's frequency). The best one's are usually 1, 6, and 11. Also make sure your SSID is different than your neighbors.

Also, with the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration tool you can set it up to automatically connect to a certain network.

Also, make sure to turn on WEP and configure you rcard to connect with it,