Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not as good as it should be

• Please log in to reply

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey my comps 1 year old, and i feel its just not working as well as it should! At start up its really slow! opening programs its slow! playing games its abit slow!
Specs:
AMD 64 - 3000+
ASUS K8VSE Delux Mobo
ASUS Radeon X800 256 pro
512 RAM
160 SATA Hard drive.

Any idea's how i can diagonose any problems or make it faster or run like its should. Thanks

Advertisements

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
for starters id run virus/spyware/adware checks. Then use a good defrag program

you can also check in add/remove programs to see if there is alot of programs listed you dont want or use

if none of that helps im not sure what else you can check with. Id probably reformat but im sure you dont want to take the time to save everything

Edited by redcrypt, 05 September 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Yeah, comps viri/spy/mal free! I am at a lost to explain the poor performance! Mates with crapper comps beat mine!

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Could Nortan be lagging my comp?

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
You need to define 'not as good as it should be'. Post what games are you running, what are your loading times, what frames per second are you getting and the complete specs of your computer. There are zillions of factors that could be affecting your performance and these might depend on your individual configuration, your hardware, the computer temperature, whether you have certain drivers, whether you are running a certain patch, whether you have background processes and tons of other stuff.

It might even be the case that you are just expecting too much from your computer. You also need to check some benchmarks on similar configurations and the same games/game versions/etc. Also you need to verify that your computer is performing similarly to other computers with similar configurations. You do this by running standard benchmarking programs such as 3dMark and comparing your results to people with the same hardware as you.

Please complete your post so we can provide better/more specialized support.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Any form of virus program in the taskbar that loads will cause your pc to become abit slower than without it. Think of it this way if you didnt have a virus program you would get viruses and spyware all the time and would have to reformat your harddrive atleast once a month. Worms and viruses and spyware/malware is getting greater now. Ya your pc will run faster with the norton off but you would get something within a few weeks no doubt.

Check for alot of programs running in the task bar. If there is use msconfig in the run prompt and get rid of some items. Be careful dont get rid of needed items.

Another thing, overclocking your pc too far could have caused it to run less fast than it used to. But dont worry about this though.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Your ram is probably getting eaten up, get more ram!

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
whoaaaah there...you cant just go around sticking ram in all over the place.

Well, jrm is probobly right, more ram will definetly make any computer faster, but try and figure out if its another problem first.

I stuck an extra 512 in mine to play BF2 on higher settings, it worked, so it may be ram, it may not.

What are you doing with it? gaming machines will need more ram these days.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I gave him very informative info. He will find out whats the problem.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Thanks for the responses, i will post all the benchmarks i can, and a complete list of my specs and drivers, also i dont have the nat at home so i will do it in a coulpe of days. Thanks. PS i was thinking about the RAM as well, before i had the net i had 33 processors running but now i have 43 so it could be the RAM. Thanks

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
43 processors?!?!?!?!?!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
He means processes not processors. With my virus program up, I have 30 processes or abit more. I have plenty of Ram in my machine so i dont notice much slow down at all. Alot of processes like that 30 or more will bog down your cpu also. On an amd machine that many processes would bog down the cpu abit.

Edited by jrm20, 09 September 2005 - 07:28 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ram would help some enough to tell the difference. What you can try is you can disable norton or unload or uncheck it in msconfig to where it doesnt run after you reboot. Then you can unplug your network cable, to protect you from viruses etc..
Finally try a good single player game that takes abit of power to run. Try that and diagnose the problem. I know that ram would help tremendously. This date in time 512 mb ram is not enough to run games efficiently. I have a gig and a half of ram and it runs all games great. Next pc will have 3Gigs of ram.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
not strictly true, you can play BF2 on moderate quality with 512, but for anything over moderate, jrm is right, as for the no of process's, you have far too many, i usually switch my Anti virus off when i play, and turn it bk on when im done.

I still get virus's, but a majority of the time, the virus uses less resources than the Anti virus :|. Anyhoo, with an X800, you dont need that extra ram, but it will help a lot if you need your AV on all the time AND/OR want your games up full blast.

Dave

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Lmao lets put it this way, 512 mb ram is slow... really slow. This day in time everyone should have 1gb of ram or you are really missing out.

LoL you can trust me, i havnt given false information yet, ntd knows me. Anything to do with gaming/games, video cards etc, and system building im here to help.

:tazz: