Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Windows media player

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
HI

I reinstalled windows 98 se and windows media player 9 doesn't come with it so i download it and installed it. But ht eproblem now is that it doesn't open. The version 6 of windows media player is still installed and that starts and plays a media file. I don't know what to do .

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi afg34...Welcome to G2G!

Sounds like you might have a bad download. If you saved the downloaded file to disk, delete it, download it again, and reinstall. If you chose to "Run this program from it's current location"...try saving it to disk, closing all open windows, and then installing MP9.

Note...Windows Media Player is a part of the Operating System and cannot be removed.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 September 2005 - 06:08 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

HI

I reinstalled windows 98 se and windows media player 9 doesn't come with it so i download it and installed it. But ht eproblem now is that it doesn't open. The version 6 of windows media player is still installed and that starts and plays a media file. I don't know what to do .

View Post

Did you install Internet Explorer 6.0 with SP1? Media Player 9 may have a compatibilty problem with earlier version of IE.

BTW, don't try to unindstall WMP 6.0, Media player uses parts of the oder versions which is why they aren't automatically uninstalled.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
WMP 9 doesn't work if u don't have IE 6 SP1. I always install it and then install wmp9 and next time i start windows i have ie 5 again. It is somehow uninstalled. I don't know why. MSN 7 doesn't work either unless you have IE 6.