Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Boot, One Beep over and over

• Please log in to reply

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Heres my problem:
Ill turn my computer on, and the power will kick on my CPU fan, HDD, DVD Burner etc but nothing comes up on the display. Other times windows will start to boot and then everything goes black, but the computer is stil on. Also I have gotten it to completely start up before and use it for a while, then it goes black, but the power never goes off on the tower.
Could this be a bad processor or mobo? I noticed my system was dusty as [bleep] so i cleaned it all up, including the conductor pind on the video card (with a pencil eraser as I learned in tech school) and got all the dust I could out of the heatsink and CPU fan.
Please help in any way, I cant afford to just start replacing parts and im LOST!

Thanks in advance
KolorBlind

Edited by KolorBlind, 05 September 2005 - 01:53 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does your video card need power from the power supply plugged into it? Because I'm guessing that either your video card, video card slot (either AGP, PCI or PCI-Xpress depending on your video card) or power supply are bad. Does your computer come with onboard video? If it does, go into the bios, change initial first display to onboard, turn off your computer, take out the video card, plug your monitor into the onboard video slot, and then reboot your computer and see if the same problem still comes up.

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*UPDATE*
OK, I just reaized that my PC Speaker wire wasnt attatched to the speaker, so I cut and soldered it back on, now when I turn on my computer I get a long beeeeeep over and over, about a 2-3 sec beep and a 2-3sec pause between beeps.

Fenor
Unfortunately my board has no onboard video, I bought it thinking why pay extra, bvut now that this has happened it would make troubleshooting much easier. Thanks for the recommendation.

If anyone can help me figure out what this one long beep over and over is, that would be awesome. My mobo is a Biostar M7VIT-PRO, dont recall which chipset, and an AMD XP2100+ Processor @1.73Ghz, 500Watt Max Power supply, 1 52x CD-Rom, 1 16x DVD Burner, Floppy Drive, 40.0GB WD Hard Drive. If someone needs to know further specs let me know Ill find em.

Thanks alot
KolorBlind

*EDIT* Added System Specs In Signature Below

Edited by KolorBlind, 05 September 2005 - 01:54 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Check whether your Keyboard is plugged in propely.
Check whether your RAM modules are in their slots propely.
It could also be a power-supply issue.

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK
Keyboard was plugged in, plus the lights on keyboard (NUM,CAPS,SCROLL) will flash once right as I hit the power button. Also I went ahead and tried 2 other keyboards I have sittin around and same.
Also tried swapping ram around, and tried with only 1 RAM module installed, tried this with all 3 modules and still same beep.
If it was a power supply issue, would my CPU fan and all drives still have power? All my drives light up upon power on, but the HDD does nothing, no display on screen whatsoever. also have tried 2 diff monitors, with same result.

I have also times the beeps, 2sec beeps with 5sec delay between, repeats forever (or at least 10 times) so I guess that would be considered a repeating long beep i dunno.

Im really at a loss, usually I can figure about anything out on this sytem, i built it like 2 or 3 years ago and have been adding and removing and updating with zero hardware problems till now. I have a new 160GB hard drive coming to me soon as well so im already out the cash for that, lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
KolorBlind

Edited by KolorBlind, 05 September 2005 - 02:29 PM.

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*UPDATE

Occasionally when I try to boot up the PC, it wont beep at all, just power on th CPU fan and not boot or give any display, weird.
Still just one long beep, over and over whenever it does beep.

If anyone can help please let me know thanks!
Kolor

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*UPDATE

OK I got up this morning and my compuiter would turn on, give me one beep, start to boot windows and reset, over and over, it never loaded windows. I was hearing a couple clicking noises coming from what sounded like the HDD. Could this be a heat issue? How would I test for that? Can anyone please help?

Thanks alot
KolorBlind

Edited by KolorBlind, 06 September 2005 - 06:14 AM.

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*UPDATE

OK So I got ahold of another power supply from a friend, plugged it into just the mobo and HDD and still get one long beep about every 5 seconds. Is there anyone who can help? Or am I just wasting my time? I am to assume that this may be a motherboard/processor problem, and I could possibly get ahold of the resources to test for it, but I dont want to fry anthing.
Please if anyone can help that would be AWESOME im starting to have withdraws, my g/fs computer will barely play Red Alert, and im a game FREAK!

Thanks
KolorBlind

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi KolorBlind,
A few weeks ago I bought a new PC. On the reboot after the first format I realised that I would get a long beep (sometimes 2), and that the OS would not boot in (just a black screen). For some reason I instantly started to blame the attached video card (ATI Radeon 9600 pro 64bit), that the my retailer's tech crew had put in BRAND NEW apon building it. So I took it back to the retailer and told the crew to check the video card first in hope that I would get it back faster, and I did!! Also, the retailers owner mentioned that there have been alot of problems with that card. So they replaced it with a ATI Radeon 9700 pro (less conflicts with drivers too). Turns out that alot of new video cards and wotnot are being released corrupt. Sooo (as a similar agreeance to Fenor) if you have any attached cards and/or paraphanalia try bringing your PC back to bare bones targeting those areas and see what YOU come up with. :tazz:

Willow :)

Edited by willow28, 07 September 2005 - 12:27 AM.

KolorBlind

KolorBlind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Willow
Thanks for the advice, I think what Ill do, since I dont have onboard video, is borrow my brothers old geforce mx400 and see what that does for me. I really hope that this is what it is, b/c I needed to upgrade my card anyways, it really does have alot of driver conflicts and things of that sort. How is that 9700 working out for you? is that a 128mb or 64mb? If I find out that is what it is, could someone recommend a good 128mb video card that I could get decently cheap? (Like under 100 online)
Thanks again man, Ill give this a whirl and update the post again, I also ordered a Power Supply tester the other night so I should have that pretty soon too.

Thanks Again
KolorBlind