Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I think Ive killed my PC

• Please log in to reply

steveskin2004

steveskin2004

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi please can someone tell me whats happened.

I bought the GeForce 6600 AGP 256MB for my PC. I plugged it in turned it on and everything worked fine. I started to play a game for 30 mins then the PC just went off. The PC will not turn on anymore. I notice that the Grapics card had a power socket but I didnt plug a power connection into it, could this have done some dammage. I tried pluging in my old card but nothing. There is some power getting through as the lights on my modem and games controller come on and the power light flickers and the man on the cpu try to turn but the pc will just not start. Can anyone please tell me what I have done and how hard/expensive will it be to repair.

Kind Regards
Steve UK

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would start by inspecting the motherboard for any damage caused by heating. since all the power to the video card had to go through the PCI, or AGP sockets there may damage to board traces. You may need to look at both sides of the mobo. Boards are multilayered so the dmage might be inside.

You could also have damaged the power supply. If you have another one around you could subtitute it.