Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Average Response time?

• Please log in to reply

razzelle

razzelle

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry to bust in here....

I've been waiting 6 hours since I posted my logs after doing what I was told, Im so tired....and my head hurts, but Im afraid to turn off my computer in fear I am not clean and will have to start all over tomorrow....

Is it okay to shut down or no???

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
It depends. Some staffers specialize in certain infections, while others take anything. Please be patient and remember that we are all volunteers here.

In the meantime, yes, you can shut down your computer. You will be told to restart during the fix, and the staffer that dows help you will ask for another log at least once during the process, so don't worry about anything.

-Ryan

jakeman4985

jakeman4985

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Actually, we DO go back that far. For most of us, when we look for logs to reply to, we filter the Malware forum according to oldest and open...ZERO reply topics first. Which means that your page 46 is darn near to page 1 for us. As stated above by myself and the other two Admins who have replied here....each of us may choose different types of infections, or have different ways of going about choosing our logs. But you can bet that we do everything in our power to NOT "overlook" anyone. We try very hard to keep up.

View Post

Well, I followed these directions to "reply" to my own post.

Return to the Forum and reply to your original post. Open the Log in Notepad. Highlight the entire contents. Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. Wait for help.

So, did I hurt myself by doing that, as my post has a single reply? :)

Just asking. I'm not dying here, I've already switched to Firefox, so the popups have stopped, but Ad-Aware is still finding the RegValues and RegKeys.

Thanks for the help.

You people are a special bunch of folks, I appreciate all of you. :tazz:

Edited by jakeman4985, 09 October 2005 - 10:11 AM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

And then again, maybe... just maybe... some - or many - of the helpers just can't be bothered to go back to page 46 to check if maybe... just maybe... some topic has been overlooked...

I would just like to echo Kats reply to this, I for one go back to 5 days looking for "0" replies, I will grab on some days 15 to 20 "0" replied to topics, keep in mind as it was stated earlier some of the staff grabbing newer topics which help keep them from slipping, Now going back 5 days and doing 15 -20 topics will gain a few days to getting current,

The percentage of replies I get from these 5 day old topics is about 50% some have fixed their issues other are still waiting patiently for help,

I can tell you honestly that about 8 months ago I was going back 20 days looking for "0" reply topics and was finding many,Not anymore, so basically what I m saying is the fact that we have some that are 5 day old is a huge improvement to where we were 8 months ago, We are trying our best to keep up and sometimes when a new infection hits the scene it will set us back a bit ( A huge factor you have to keep in mind)

And I have, in fact, put my money where my mouth is... I've already donated for the quality help I received...

Admin wasn't speaking abot making a donation to receive help quicker, because that wont happen,

He was referring to joining GeekU getting trained and helping us to keep up even more so :tazz:

Return to the Forum and reply to your original post. Open the Log in Notepad. Highlight the entire contents. Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. Wait for help.

jakeman4985.
Could you tell me where you saw the above ?

And for informational purposes,

So, did I hurt myself by doing that, as my post has a single reply?

Yes you did, As stated we are looking for 0 replies, With that said we do have some staff members that will check inb on 1 reply topics but its not often and you just may end up adding a reply to this Topic

jakeman4985

jakeman4985

• Pip
  • 9 posts

jakeman4985.
Could you tell me where you saw the above ?

And for informational purposes,
Yes you did, As stated we are looking for 0 replies, With that said we do have some staff members that will check inb on 1 reply topics but its not often and you just may end up adding a reply to this Topic

View Post

In this link here

Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log
user posted image Hijack This - Download - Homepage
Automated tools are not always successful at removing malware from your system. Some infections may generate random files names, are too new, or use other tricks to avoid detection.

HijackThis examines certain key areas of the Registry and Hard Drive and lists their contents. These are areas which are used by both legitimate programmers and hijackers. Some items are perfectly fine. You should not remove them. Never remove everything. Doing that could leave you with missing items needed to run legitimate programs and add-ins.

This section is designed to help you produce a log, post the log into the Forum and finally remove the items as directed by the Member helping you. This involves no analysis of the list contents by you. That will be done by the Geeks to Go Staff.

If you have run and fixed anything with Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, or any spyware program please reboot before scanning.

Save HijackThis in its own folder (i.e. C:\HJT). DO NOT run it from within a zip manager (Winzip), as no backups will be saved.

user posted image
This is how HijackThis looks when it first opened.

You do not have to change any settings at this point.
Notice the empty section in the middle. This is where the scan results will be listed later.
Examine the two sets of buttons. To start the scan, Click the Scan button on the left.

user posted image
HijackThis after the scan.

The Scan Button has a new Caption. Save Log. Click the Save Log button to create a file named Hijackthis.log. A dialog box will pop up. Use it to select the location where you will save the log. Close the program.

Additional Copy and Paste Instructions
Having problems with cut and paste? Open the text file. Go to the Toolbar of your text editor, Notepad for example and click Edit. Move the mouse down to Select All and click on Select All to highlight the text. Go back to Edit again and move the mouse down to Copy. Click Copy. Go to the Forum and reply to your original post. When the page opens, click on an empty space in the reply window with your mouse to set focus for the paste operation. Finally, hold down the Ctrl button and click the letter v on the keyboard to paste the text into your post.

So I should post my question again? I'm not three days old yet. I'll wait for a while. I'm doing ok right now, but I would like to make the RegValue & Keys that Ad-Aware still finds go away.

I have spent some time browsing others posts, and have most of the prevention steps in place to keep from getting further infected.

Didn't want to clog the board.

Sorry!
:tazz:

Edited by jakeman4985, 09 October 2005 - 02:13 PM.

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Ok i have to put my two cents in here as a helper. :tazz:

The way i do things is just like this, firstly i go into 3 day old replies and take what i can work on.

The way i select the logs i will take is based on what i know, period. If i take on something that is new to me i have to spend minutes or sometimes hours getting the info that i need to clean a log. I can see no point grabbing stuff that i do not understand entirely, it slows down response time and my effectiveness as a helper. Due to the fact there are so many people needing help, i take what i know i can go through faily quickly. I have taken stuff new to me and had to fight for every square inch of space, where as a helper familiar with certain infections, can go through so much easier and quicker. The help here is second to none and you must be patient when getting a response, you must realize there are hundreds of people ahead of you and waiting for a response, the very same second you post and get a response is not something that happens quickly.

I hope this helps in giving you a little look into the helper world and what it takes to get a response.

Good luck and we will see you on the boards. :)

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Mine has been up for about 2 days i guess. Im not to worried about it. I think they do a great job and i have no doubts that it will get done.
Im guessing sometime tomorrow, but maybe even later.
Everyone has things they do outside of the internet, just let them live :tazz:

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Admin wasn't speaking abot making a donation to receive help quicker, because that wont happen,

He was referring to joining GeekU getting trained and helping us to keep up even more so :woot:

Good morning Don,

You know, I wasn't thinking about making donations to get help faster - I'm not quite that callous... :tazz:

A donation is a token of appreciation for the quality help you people provide so graciously. I KNOW everyone here is doing this for free out of their own time. And believe me, it is truly appreciated.

And far from me the idea of implying that ALL helpers lack the patience to search the boards for old unreplied to posts. I did say "maybe, just maybe, some..." I've looked at the posts and the replies before forming an opinion, there is a certain trend there... I'm sure the people concerned will recognize themselves... :)

In any event, it's certainly not a matter of life or death and all I can tell you guys is: Keep up the good work, you're great!

Now, as to your offer of a job for me, as I was saying, I'm afraid there isn't much I can do, being computer-savvy at a lower to intermediate level, at best. Otherwise, I'd be solving my own problems, leaving you experts to help people who really need it... :woot:

What I COULD do, however, is come in, say, once a day, to help scan the boards for older items and bring them to the helpers' attention. Do you think that would be useful?

D*

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Dark_Star_Qc we appreciate your passion and concern, but I assure you this has nothing to do with patience, and we try very hard to make sure that anyone still waiting a reply gets one.

Our problem is one of supply and demand. An average day here is 250-300 new topics, and roughly 1,500-2,000 replies. If we take the low number, assume 1/2 of them are by staff members, and each reply takes about 10 minutes that's 125 man-hours per day. All helpers do this on a volunteer basis, they have real lives, jobs, families, etc. Not everyone is able to check-in everyday. Amazingly, we seem to continually find enough generous and talented people, and stay pretty current with replies.

There are also MANY other reasons that some topics may not get a reply. From being a duplicate post here, or on another forum, to a poorly phrased questions, or even problems we may not be able to answer. We do not intentionally ignore anyone, nor are we too lazy too look.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Well, Admin from Flatlander, my offer still holds, if you think it could help. I'm afraid that's the best I can do with my limited knowledge.

Unless, as previously stated, you someday need an interpreter... ;-)

D*

Advertisements

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
A question along those lines. Do you ever have staff with infection specific jobs? I'm just a Underclassmen at GeekU, but I've seen quite a few Trojan.vundo/Win Fixer posts and have solved each one the way a staff member did later. I would personally be able to handle that specific situation with users. Just thought I'd ask.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
While you may be able to handle those infections, it's rare that a system has only one. Many times there are multiple infections on a system, and you may not be capable of removing them all. We also have no way of controling which logs you'd have access to. This permissions are in place for the protection of our members, not because we don't want the help. :tazz:

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

While you may be able to handle those infections, it's rare that a system has only one. Many times there are multiple infections on a system, and you may not be capable of removing them all. We also have no way of controling which logs you'd have access to. This permissions are in place for the protection of our members, not because we don't want the help. :)

Got it. :tazz:
I'd forgotten about the other infections part... back to my studies at GeekU. :woot:

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Dark_Star_Qc
My comments were not meant to be offensive, If taken that way then I apologize for that.

What I COULD do, however, is come in, say, once a day, to help scan the boards for older items and bring them to the helpers' attention. Do you think that would be useful?

Again we do appreciate your concerns and a suggested solution to them. The problem I see with this is should a topic get bumped it will get overlooked by staff members , again they are looking for 0 reply topics, We have mods in place that make so that other members can not reply to any topics in the malware forum,
Pming staff members alerting them to outdated topics would not work as well as we ask that members do not pm staff members for help ( I know what your suggesting is something entirely different) But these boards are read by many and we have policies in place and they are in place for a reason,

A question along those lines. Do you ever have staff with infection specific jobs? I'm just a Underclassmen at GeekU, but I've seen quite a few Trojan.vundo/Win Fixer posts and have solved each one the way a staff member did later. I would personally be able to handle that specific situation with users. Just thought I'd ask.

To expand on this abit more if I may, Just last night we had a member with a Trojan.vundo/Win Fixer and the member had some major issues with it. wasn't just a simple fix.
As Admin stated the likely hood of having more then one infection is very high and the newer infections we are facing are beyond simply running a simple tool or program to clean the system, granted we still see some of those but not many.
I think Admin and many others will back me on this, I remember just a year or maybe a little more back members would come here we could hit the system with Ad-aware, Spybot, if necessary CWShredder, an online scan or 2 a few fixes using HJT and they were on there way.
Not the case today.

I'd forgotten about the other infections part... back to my studies at GeekU

Well said. you will find your time there invaluable :tazz:

And just as an FYI I think its great you are looking at logs and trying to solve them then checking how you did, That's a great idea and probably one of the most valuable learning tools available, But keep in mind to bounce around and look at other infections while vundo/Win Fixer seem to be the prominent infection today that will likely change within the next couple weeks,
Then its back to the drawing board :)

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
I'll remember that. I haven't spent as much time as I could on other logs. I will make sure to check a variety of topics and issues. Thank you for your comments.