Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question(s) on a Home Network

• Please log in to reply

aj_grass

aj_grass

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello.

I hope it's the right forum section for this question.

I have two computers at home, both with a network adapter and a cable connecting them (i think the description of the cable is a crossbred cable, but i'm not really sure, that's not the problem). On one computer I have WinXP Home Edition, and on the other XP Proffesional SP1. I configured i.p. adresses and gateways. and also internet sharing. there is a connection between the computers - i can ping one to the other, internet sharing works, LAN games work.

BUT, I CAN'T get the two computers to share "normal" windows resources - printers, scanners, folders!
In fact, when I check each of them for "Neighborhood friends", each computer only sees itself in the group. now I think I set both to the same group name, as I see in System Properties tab (right-click my computer, properties,...)

Can anyone help with the sharing?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Things that have to be done:

The network connection wizard needs to be run on all machines in the network.

Each network user has to have a login and password to connect, and has to be logged in.

Shared folders has to be set up, they should have a name like shared, sharing, etc, and sharing should be enabled. It's usually simpler if the shared folder is in the root directory and not a subfolder three levels down.

This is due to security built into windows networking, and these are things commonly overlooked.

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I ran the wizard on each computer. The difference between the OS is important?
I don't use passwords when the computers start-up. Does that mean I can't share printers and folders without using passwords?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I ran the wizard on each computer. The difference between the OS is important?
I don't use passwords when the computers start-up. Does that mean I can't share printers and folders without using passwords?

View Post

That's right, you must has a network login to share files. You can use Windows login or generally Microsoft client for networks, whichever is more convenient.

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
So, if and only if both computers request passwords on startup then they can each pther on the same workgroup?
A. that's a bummer
B. I used to operate a computer class for kids, and the computers were on a network there (I didn't hooked it up obiously) but I remember we didn't had to enter passwords when eachcomputer started. SO are you sure?

anyway, this is the only condition I'm missing here?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If your just wanting file and print share abilities you dont need a username and password.

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
So what do I need?
If you didn't read the previous posts, LAN connection works (like ping and LAN games), but I can't shre printers and folders? none of the computers even sees the other on the same group.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Aj,

I dont think i understand how you have the two pc's connected?

"I have two computers at home, both with a network adapter and a cable connecting them (i think the description of the cable is a crossbred cable, but i'm not really sure, that's not the problem). On one computer I have WinXP Home Edition, and on the other XP Proffesional SP1"

Does this mean that you have a Network Card on pc1 and a network card on pc2, then a crossover cat5e cable running from pc1 into pc2. If so, this is not the normal means of connecting two pc's together, normally one passes through a router, switch, or hub. But do not despair... I have done this in my Dial up days (before I could afford broadband - for gaming).

You have said that so far you are able to show a connection between the computers and ping one to the other, and that internet sharing and Lan games work. On the Part of Internet sharing I dont know how you accomplished that unless the first pc has 2 network cards in it. Can you clarify that part for me?....

YOUR ACTUAL PROBLEM...

BUT, I CAN'T get the two computers to share "normal" windows resources - printers, scanners, folders! In fact, when I check each of them for "Neighborhood friends", each computer only sees itself in the group. now I think I set both to the same group name, as I see in System Properties tab (right-click my computer, properties,...)

Solution 1 - to be done on both PC's
first open 'My Computer' and browse to the drive or directory you wish to share. Right click the drive or directory and select 'sharing and security.' Under 'network sharing and security' select the 'enable sharing of files without running the network wizard' option. Select 'share this folder/drive on the network'

Share name specifies the name that will appear for the share on remote computers. Check the 'allow network users to change my files' box if you want remote users to be able to add, delete or modify files within the folder or drive. By default it is unchecked, giving read-only access. Click ok.

Solution 2 - to be done on both PC's
If your are still unable to share then try to run your network setup wizard on both machines again(make sure to give both Pc's the EXACT same workgropup name...(mkae sure to reboot both pc's afterwards) If you need assistance with this let me know.

Solution 3 - to be done on both PC's
If this does not resolve your problem then you must verify that both PC's have the latest security updates and patches available from windows updates. Once you have done that, again run the network setup wizard and reboot both pc's.

Solution 4 - to be done on both PC's
If these steps do not work, check and see what firewalls, security programs, and active virus scanners you have running in the background. Temporarily disable all of these then try to view the workgrpoup computers again.

After you have tried all of the steps listed above and if you are still not able to share files, then post back and we will investigate further.

:tazz:

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
* I have a network card, and a USB-connect modem, so I'm able to connect to the internet.

right now I'm not at home, but:
1. I don't remember seeing the shre options you mention, but I'll try.
2. I ran the wizard on both computers, giving both the same workgoup name. didn't help.
3. I acctually havn't try updating windows for that. did you here about cases where it was solve that way?
4. I have a firewall program, but I opened the port of the computers, like enabled all communication on port xxx.xxx.xx.2 to computer 2, and xxx.xxx.xx.1 to computer 1, according to the gateway addresses I set. this is how internet connection is enabled anyway. i think.

When I come home (I hope I have the time), I'll try again all the steps you mention.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply... I work a full time job....Go to school part time... and spend time with my wife, kids, xbox, and finally this thing im typin on now....

Answers??

Upgrading Service patches is a definate yes to that answer.... It has solved many file and print share problems... escpically with SP1 and 2 for XP.

And a second yes to the Share options... If the network wizard is faulty or isnt performed correctly this can sometimes correct the problem.

Hope to hear back wether or not these suggestions worked?

aj_grass

aj_grass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I think I know what is the problem - it's the fact that home edition is probebly installed without the network components on one of the computers, or that it's lack the ones i need.

I want to know something else, if you (anyone) can comment and help:

The internet connection i have is done by a dial-up, i mean if I want to connect to the internet from the main computer, it's not done right away on start-up, and I need to dial-up.
When I read (past tense) some instructions on net sharing I saw that I need to define DNS adresses on the other computer, in order to share the connection. so I entered the ones that are related to my internet-supplier, and so the second computer is automatically connected to the internet whenever the main computer is connected.

My question is: can I configure some sort of dialer on the second computrer? Are the DNS adresses obligatory? Will a dialer work when the modem is on the main computer? (i guess not)

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am unsure on this but let me do some research and i will post back later today.