Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problem

• Please log in to reply

mlgrier3

mlgrier3

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have an IBM ThinkPad 770ED running Microsoft 2000 professional. Turned it on yesterday and can't get to any screen. I am receiving one long beep then it ask me to enter the date and time. Then I get 2 short beeps. The error codes I am getting are 00173, 00163, and 00161. I've tried to go into safe mode and had no luck getting into that either.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you can open the case, change the little battery that's about the size of a nckel and shiny stainless steel. Laptops are left in hot places (cars) a lot and their CMOS batteries go dead quickly. Make sure you observe the polarity and write down the part number. Radio Shack or any computer, likely camera store will have them. It's about a three dollar item. You may need to go into setup and change some settings, or change to default settings, if so post a reply if you need help.

mlgrier3

mlgrier3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Tried replacing the battery this afternoon and am still having the same problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mlgrier3

mlgrier3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I start the computer in the top left hand corner I get 130496 KB OK. Then that will stay on for about 2 seconds. Then it goes not quite black for a few seconds, and then totally black for 12 seconds, almost as if it is restarting itself.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

When I start the computer in the top left hand corner I get 130496 KB OK.  Then that will stay on for about 2 seconds. Then it goes not quite black for a few seconds, and then totally black for 12 seconds, almost as if it is restarting itself.

View Post

The 130 number is the memory being checked.

After you replaced the battery did you enter the correct date and time? It should have prompted you again. There may also be a date and time in Setup which your enter by pressing the correct key at boot up. It will usually tell you which one, but esc, F1 and F2 are common ones.