Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

win98se won't keep wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

carbone2003

carbone2003

• Pip
  • 2 posts
win98se, using netgear pci card and netgear router, bix will NOT retain settings for wireless dsl access. after a restart, box defaults to 127.0.0.1 address, and only by running internet setup wizard EVERY TIME will it get online. any way to makethesettings stick?

john

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think maybe so. That IP is the one Microsoft chose for your computer to communicate with other machines, which is probably why it's being used. If you go into the wireless network connection and change to a fixed IP, namely that one, I suspect the problem will be solved. If that doesn't do it, we'll have to try something else.

When I was using that IP I think a had to put a period at the end, or add a port number for it to stay in the settings.

carbone2003

carbone2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for that...maybe you could talk mekthrough the procedure of assigning a fixed ip address, since i can't seem to find a controlpanel or properties pane that will allow this. bear in mind this is a win98se box i'm talking about...

john

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Instead of running the ICW on the desktop, right click on it and choose properites, then click on Find Target and open the icwoobe.exe (Out of box experience) instead. You will be given the options you need for setting up a LAN with a fixed IP and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, by all means post back.