Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in safe mode colors

• Please log in to reply

daniel9

daniel9

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi
yes well for some reason my colors arent working and i am stuck in the colors that are used for safe mdoe. usually my colors are 24 bit. and i dont know what the problem was. i had a spyware prob recently and i got rid of that. but my colors went away after i removed the spyware. i tried reinstalling the video driver software and rebooting but these same colors remain and i cant get my normal colors back. here is my comp info i got from everest home edition.
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 633 MHz (9.5 x 67)
System Memory 128 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
Video Adapter Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller
Installed Drivers i81xdw9x.drv
3D Accelerator Intel i752
Monitor Compaq Presario 1725 (7281160919346)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You could try reinstalling the drivers for your graphics controller, first with the win98 files on the installation disk, they may be in C: too, then with the microsoft hardware update site. This is done in System<Device manager. If that doesn't work go to the Intel website and download the proper drivers and run the installation. The last step would certainly work but would take longer.

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well i tried reinstalling the driver. with the files in the system folder and that didnt work, and going to the intel site and installing that driver but when i rebooted after the windows logon all i got was a pitchblack screen. and i waited for awhile reseted a couple of times and it did the same thing. so i went back into safe mode reinstalled the driver from the system folder and reseted and i magaged to fully load windows which is where i am now back where i started still not able to get my full colors. i also did a virus scan and a defrag. im not sure of anything else i can do

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Had to do that myself a few times, not quite the right drivers, it occured to me while walking the dog that you might have a popular brand of computer/motherboard and you could get the correct drivers from the makers website. What brand and model do you have?.

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well i think it is a ibm compatible. here is the summary of my motherboard from everest
Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 633 MHz (9.5 x 67)
Motherboard Name TriGem Cognac
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
System Memory 128 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/26/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter Intel® 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller
3D Accelerator Intel i752
Monitor Compaq Presario 1725 (7281160919346)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should get them here, they have them for 98 and 98SE

http://downloadfinde.....17&submit=Go!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I suspected that was what you had, it's used in a lot of personal computers, I've got a couple myself. Most popular with HP, Gateway, etc., a good board for smaller machines. Go to the HP website, search for downloads for lets say Pavilion 6635, go to the platform independet downloads and you'll find your drivers.

You can even find a manual, in .pdf format, but I don't think HP has it.

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
downloaded the pavillion 6635 driver from the HP site installed it and restarted. it didnt do any good.and as b4 also system properties for the driver it says this device is working properly. i have no idea what could be wrong. this is becoming hopeless

Edited by daniel9, 06 September 2005 - 01:22 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

downloaded the pavillion 6635 driver from the HP  site installed it and restarted. it didnt do any good.and as b4 also  system properties for the driver it says this device is working properly. i have no idea what could be wrong.  this is becoming hopeless

View Post

At this point it's looking like you have a defective device. Unfortunately for the video and audio it can say this device is working properly and it's not because the drivers are wrong, if it says standard vga adapter that means it's defaulting to the windows drivers which only give that display mode. You could try drivers for different models of HP, 6535, 6735 and hope they click, or go to the TriGem site looking. But I don't hold out much hope.

Under what circumstances did this change occur?

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
under no circumstances. i just did my normal spyware sweep every morning. and went thru the list and deleted the spyware then after that a couple of hrs later m comp was in the basic colors no errors or anything came up it was just in the normal colors

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
what I'd recommend is going into safe mode and removing all reference to the video drivers both in add/remove programs ( if any ) and in device manager. Then reboot to full windows and trying a reinstall of the drivers.

IF that fails download the 810 video drivers AND the chipset drivers from Intel. then go into safemode and again remove all refererence to the 810 driver of ANY kind.... video and chipset then reboot and reinstall....

Good Luck

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Shard is giving good advice. If it turns out that the device is defective, the fact that it happened spontaneously points in that direction, you can either get a new board, most any computer repair place, not talking about the big chain stores here, may have a couple of them lying around since there were so many used. You could probably also replace it with a good used video card, the display quality wasn't the greatest asset of this board. I actually used another card on the working unit I have until I found the right drivers for it.

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
oh well thanks for all ur help tried all the solutions none of them seem to work i guess i will have to get another videocard

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok i dont understand this at all! i havent done anything since i replied last time and just this morning colors came back for no reason at all???? i was asleep and left my comp on and when i woke up all my colors were back. i really dont understand

daniel9

daniel9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
crap!!! what the heck is going onnn! it just now went to safe mode colors tho this time it was just after microsoft outlook express froze and i ctrl alt del and then closed outlook that way. then a few seconds later my normal colors went away and im back to these safe mode colors.

Edited by daniel9, 26 October 2005 - 03:47 PM.