Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BT Voyager 205 Modem/Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

sytec

sytec

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The Voyager 205 router I have is stuck in Dying Gasp mode, I.e it doesn't get a connection with the computer with USB and Ethernet. Usualy when a router goes into this mode it's just the usb that doesn't work, when the router does this it can be fixed by
upgrading the firmware using the Ethernet and a program built into windows 2k/xp called TFTP.
But in my case this cannot be done because the ethernet has also went into dying gasp mode along with the usb.
There is however a manual way to upgrade and fix it using a cable that connects to the parallel port and connects into the inside of the modem using a Header connector labeled "JP1" which has seven pins, normaly an asdl modem which has the GlobespanVirata chipset has a 6 pin Header connector like in the D-link and various other external modems.
I have got the manual upgrade software and firmware and also a schematic for the 6 pin
parallel cable.
what i am looking for is the pinouts for the seven pin connector labeled "JP1" so that I can alter my 6 pin cable, I think that the 7 pin cable uses one of the pins for either a locator pin (no wire connected) or as a short (two pins connected to each other).

By the way BT doesn't admit that this modem can even go into this mode on any of their Specifications/Documentation, or even on their customer support.
I only found out about this from the chipset specifications.

what the modem does is the power light stays on and the rest of the lights goes on in sequence from left to right then after the last light on the right goes out the last two lights on the right light up by themselfs for about a second then go out and starts the sequence all over again.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Advertisements