Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PF usage Verry High 614meg

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Is the default windows firewall ok? If not, could you reccomend one for me? I would prefer one that takes the least amount of system usage and isn't difficult to deal with. Though it may be inconvenient, I have no problem buying one either.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Zone Alarm is a popular choice

fischmann

fischmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
yes i did that and had no change i have now uninstalled avg and sygate and gone to zone alarm security sute and the PF problem has gone

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Is the default windows firewall ok?  If not, could you reccomend one for me?  I would prefer one that takes the least amount of system usage and isn't difficult to deal with.  Though it may be inconvenient, I have no problem buying one either.

View Post

Look at the link that Kieth has supplied, but i personally use Zone alarm

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Look at the link that Kieth has supplied, but i personally use Zone alarm

View Post

But to answer my question, no, the default Windows firewall isn't good enough? :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I have been told that it is good, and I have been told that it sucks.

But Microsoft does say that if you what better protection to use a 3rd party firewall.... so i use zone alarm

fischmann

fischmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
the windows firewall doesnt block outgoing things soo if you had a keylogger etc it wouldnt stop it from sending the logs i think dont go by me tho becuase im not the geek here keith is lol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The XP Firewall only blocks incoming data

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
... I wasn't saying to remove it, but just stop it from loading. If you need to scan, you just have to start it manually. I find that I have better gaming preformance if avg isnt running.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

... I wasn't saying to remove it, but just stop it from loading. If you need to scan, you just have to start it manually. I find that I have better gaming preformance if avg isnt running.

View Post

So, you would sooner get stuck with a virus because you prefer NOT to have active scanning on.. Bad advice and NOT recommended..

Murray

Advertisements

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I thought it only active scanned e-mails.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I thought it only active scanned e-mails.

View Post

AVG does that as well (email scanning).

But also avg does real tiem on your system, this is to make sure you dont get a virus on your system.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No.. active scanning means it is continually scanning your system for viruses/trojans.. You go to a bad website and, if there is a hidden trojan in it, it scans and gives a warning.. You download something, it scans the download..

NEVER not have an active av program running..

Murray

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Ok. Now I know lol