Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu missing in windows xp

• Please log in to reply

haybailz

haybailz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After i used my restore cd for my computer, the start menu would not show, after searching and clicking everywhere on my desktop, i found out it is to the right of the screen, too far for my monitor to show, how do i get it back where it is supposed to be? I found it by just scrolling the mouse to the right of the screen, it disappears and when i click, internet explorer opens, norton antivirus opens, just random things open depending on where i click, i have tried to hold down the left click on the mouse and drag the start menu back to the bottom, but when the pointer comes into the screen, it makes the outline of a box, (where you can select multiple files.)

Advertisements

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
can you right click on the toolbar?

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i tried to, but no menus come up, if they do, i can't see them, i went into the graphics controller and tried to rotate the screen, nothing rotated, but now the start menu is off of the right side of the screen, too far to the right to be seen

Edited by haybailz, 05 September 2005 - 07:46 PM.

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Hmm... Can you try and reinstall XP again?

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i already tried that....twice

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
did you do complete reinstall or just OS reinstall?

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i'm not sure, i used the recovery cd that came with my computer and it said that it erased everything from the disk and installed windows xp again.....i really appreciate your help

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
maybe it is a video adapter problem. Try reinstalling or downoading a new one. I'll be on later i gotta go to sleep.

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i'll try that tomorrow, thanks, oh and by the way, if i start it in safe mode, the start menu is showing at the usual place

Edited by haybailz, 05 September 2005 - 09:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi haybailz...Welcome to G2G!

See if this works...Right click on the task bar and uncheck "Lock the taskbar". Now try to drag and/or resize the taskbar and start menu to where you want it...if it works, re-check "Lock the taskbar" so you don't loose it again.

wannabe1

Advertisements

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i can't right click on the task bar, it is not on the screen, when i move my cursor with the mouse off of the screen to the left, it acts like there is more screen on my monitor, to the left of the monitor is where the task bar is so i'm not able to see it to click on it, i can move my mouse off of the screen to the left an just start randomly clicking and things start up, most likely from the quick launch bar, but like i said i cannot even see the start menu or the task bar due to them not being on screen, it is acting like my screen has 2 more inches to the left. But the task bar does come up in safe mode, am i able to change options for the task bar and start menu while in safe mode and keep the settings in regular mode?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Your monitor should have a set of controls located on it for centering your screen..

Use those and try moving your screen to the right or left until the Taskbar is showing..

or, right click on your Desktop and select "Properties".. Now, click on the "Settings" tab and change your resolution to the next highest setting..

Murray

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
already tried both of those, i also tried to go to the control panel and bring up the start menu properties but nothing comes up when i open the file.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello haybailz...

Yes, you should be able to make that change in Safe Mode. Try this first...Right click the desktop (in Normal Mode) and choose "Settings" then click "Advanced"...under the "General" tab make sure that your DPI setting is set to "Normal Size (96 DPI).

wannabe1

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i'll try that as soon as i go over there, (its my mother-in-laws computer), then let you know what happens....