Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drives have disappeared

• Please log in to reply

biggbb

biggbb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My main partition can no longer see my floppy and cd/dvd drives. However they can still be accessed on my backup partition. I uninstalled in the device manager but the reinstall had the same results, I also reinstalled SP2 with no change can anyone help? :) :) :tazz:

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

I just want to check something with you, were all drives visible on both Partitions before and are they both using NTFS or FAT32 or a mixture of both.? Are they using the same OS?

If you could also please open(on main partition)from control panel, Adminstrative tools, Computer Management, Storage and click on disk management and see if the missing drives in question appear.

Also if you can tell me what partitioning program you are using i.e. Partition Magic etc.

Edited by fungit, 06 September 2005 - 04:55 PM.

biggbb

biggbb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
" were all drives visible on both Partitions before"
Yes
"and are they both using NTFS or FAT32 or a mixture of both.?"
Both NTFS
"Are they using the same OS?"
Both XP Pro, primary is SP2, backup has not been upgraded.

"If you could also please open(on main partition)from control panel, Adminstrative tools, Computer Management, Storage and click on disk management and see if the missing drives in question appear."

"Also if you can tell me what partitioning program you are using i.e. Partition Magic etc."
It's been over a year ago that I partitioned. I used Partition Magic. Just lost the drives in the last few weeks.

:tazz:

Also the drives are all visible in device manager, the cd and dvd drives have a ?, with the message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)," although they are supposed to need none. The floppy has says it is working properly.

Edited by biggbb, 07 September 2005 - 05:02 AM.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

One more thing need to check, Which version of Partition Magic are you using?

All I could find on the microsoft site was the following article
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;308322, that says something (if i read it correctly) about Partition Magic 6 and below not supporting NTFS.

Edited by fungit, 07 September 2005 - 12:02 PM.