Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop

• Please log in to reply

dotmandan1

dotmandan1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Help!

I have been having problems with some adware namely "Arora - part of the abi network". I tried to uninstall it and i was directed to download software from the following website:
http://www.mypctuneup.com

To remove it. After running and uninstalling it, this is where the problems start. Windows loads up, i log in under any User, and the desktop remains blank. No start menu or icons. I have been into task manager and the explorer process is not running. I try to start it under start new task, and all it does is open a window in my documents.

This does mean that i can still browse my computer and open programs, but without any desktop it is really really annoying! I can move my mouse but clicking on the desktop does nothing at all.

I have also tried loading up in safe mode - And the same problem still occurs. I think it must be some setting which is turned off which allows me to access the desktop or stops it from loading properly.

Any help would be much appreciated, and i am infact going on holiday tomorow so i would love to get it sorted today!
thanks,
Dan

Advertisements

dotmandan1

dotmandan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hurray!
Its ok crisis averted. I spent the past 2 hours searching the net, it seems to be a recurring problem to do with adware that basically messes up your computer if you try to remove it. I fixed it by finding a really handy registry tweak site:
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

And downloading and running the "Restore Desktop Icons and
Taskbar" on line 195. It basically changes the registry settings that the adware had messed up. No need to reinstall windows!
Dan