Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Malware PSGUARD

• Please log in to reply

Andy Parry

Andy Parry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there

This is my first attempt at a forum so apologies now for any mistakes.
I have followed your guildlines for preperation before posting to remove any Malware with the exception of the following:-
I could not use Ewido as I'm using Win 98
Within AD-Aware SE I was not able to toggle the unload IE and Explorer if necessary option, it was greyed out?

I have Xoftspy installed as my primary virus scanner, although this was on the list of dodgy anti virus software is was then removed from the list so i'm assuming it is ok.

After running all the various virus scanning and removal software about 5 viruses were removed.
The only issue I'm left with now is that even though the virus scanners say the PS Guard virus has been removed, within approx 5 minutes of computer use it is back again, this use does not have to include surfing the internet so I don't think it is a reinfection.

Here are the symptoms of the infection:-
IE Home page changed
During surfing images stop loading.
Originally desktop had virus infection written on it. However, this seems to be ok now.
Unspecified virus removal software loads itself and starts a hard drive scan, although this has not happen for a while now.
Small icon appeared in lower right menu indicating virus infection, although this seems to have been cleared up.
Unable to send or receive in Outlook
Unable to close down PC

All the syptoms can be removed once AD-Aware was run and the virus deleted, but as stated either after a reboot or minimal computer use the symptoms slowly return.

Please find below my High Jack This Log (HJT for all thoughs non techies reading this as I noticed another user asked the question what does HJT stand for).

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:03:26, on 06/09/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATITASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATICWD32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I0F2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCNT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\FAVORITES\VIRUS TROJAN HUNTER\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\DISTILLR\ACROTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON CARDMONITOR\EPSON CARDMONITOR1.2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\FAVORITES\VIRUS HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://66.40.16.201/sb/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://shdocvn.dll/blank.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://66.40.16.201/sb/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] c:\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Atikey] Atitask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegShave] C:\Progra~1\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mdac_runonce] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\runonce.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I0F2.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus Photo R300"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Start Page] C:\WINDOWS\system32\svcnt32.exe home
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\WINDOWS\FAVORITES\VIRUS TROJAN HUNTER\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Startup: EPSON CardMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON CardMonitor\EPSON CardMonitor1.2.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .avi: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O21 - SSODL: DDE - {F33812FB-F35C-4674-90F6-FD757C419C51} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\birdihuy32.dll (file missing)

Please could you advise what to remove and any other help would be great.

I have also asked the Xoftspy software guys to help but as yet (after 7 days) have heard nothing constructive.

Many thanks in advance

[/FONT]

Advertisements