Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Me USB mouse

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

I installed a plug-and-play Samsung 19" digital monitor over the week-end (my Gateway EV 700 monitor faded to black and there was an audible ticking coming from the power source) and ever since my scroll wheel on my mouse does not work properly. With a IE browser page opened, for example, when I rotate the wheel by a click or two the page scrolls for several seconds, either direction. Did a monitor driver installation have any effect on the mouse driver? If not, wher should I look? I went to Control Panel and Device Manger, and there are no yellow exclamation marks for the mouse.

Thanks.

Adam

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely is you removed the cover of your old monitor you would find the CRT has some kind of gunk on it that conducts electricity and if you clean it off, not the black aquadag which may be there but any sticky stuff, it will work just fine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi amstuart...Welcome to G2G!

Installing a new monitor should not have effected your mouse, but then again, who knows...

Try this...Click Start point to Settings then click Control Panel...Double click on the "Mouse" Icon and then on the "Scrolling" tab. You can adjust the settings here.

If the "Scrolling" tab is not present, then the software for your mouse has not been installed or has become corrupt. Reinstall it either from the disk that came with your mouse or download it from the manufacturer's website.

Let us know how you do...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 September 2005 - 09:31 PM.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

I reloaded the driver for the mouse. The scrolling issue with the wheel is when I navigate on an Internet Explorer page: when I move the scroll wheel one notch either direction, the IE page continues to float for many lines. If Outlook Express or a MS Word document is open, the scroll wheel works as it should. Any addiitonal thoughts now that the behavior seems isolated to IE pages?

Thanks.

Adam

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amstuart...

The scrolling issue with the wheel is when I navigate on an Internet Explorer page

If this only happens when using IE as you state, then it is almost certaily an Internet Explorer problem. In Internet Explorer, click Tools then Internet Options...under the Advanced tab, scroll down the list and make sure there is a check in the box next to "Use smooth scrolling. (It wouldn't hurt to uncheck it if you find it checked.) Apply the settings and click "Ok"

See if this helps your issue. Meanwhile, I will do some more research on the Problem.(Sure sounded like a driver problem :tazz: )

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2005 - 05:35 PM.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Wannabe1:

You nailed it! I did not know there was another mouse scroll tweak buried in the Internet Options menu. Bulleted, the mouse scrolling in IE is abnormal. Unchecking the smooth scrolling now yields normal IE browsing with the mouse and wheel.

Weird?

Well, once again thank you for taking the time to help me with this minor nuisance. You guys can close this thread.

Adam

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amstuart...

Always glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!