Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Hippie Spring Cleaning

• Please log in to reply

hippiemind

hippiemind

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have heard that all of ones exploration on the net is stored on ones hard drive. I have also seen programs advertised that supposedly "clean" ones system of these files. Do they work, and if so, which is the best to use?

Thanks in advance for your time on this matter.

Edited by hippiemind, 06 September 2005 - 07:49 AM.

Advertisements

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Welcome, Hippiemind

Use Clean Up ->Clean Up. Click the icon and install it. Then go to options and slide the slider to Standard CleanUp!. Click OK then click CleanUp! and all your "explorations" will be gone. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To preserve anonymity on a hard drive, physically destroy it. I think forensic teams can recover data even after it has been written over 7 times. For ordinary surfing, a clean install is the best way to "lose" old info. For state secrets and other confidential info, I would use a manufacturer's utility to overwrite the disk, then do a clean install, or follow any of the steps in the above signature! It seems that the ability to recover data is inversely proportional and as complicated as the value of that data. In other words, it's always easy to recover problems. A clean install is a good choice for a fresh start. A format would be sufficient "clean up" to give the computer away, under ordinary use.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 06 September 2005 - 11:40 AM.

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
He doesn't need to reformat it unless you are under police investigation...