Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

INTEL CELERON

• Please log in to reply

anubhav7_2000

anubhav7_2000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
What are the intel celeron's DISADVANTAGE.
Why is it treated as such an OBSOLETE product now-a-days.
Should I buy it bcos it is cheap a lot. :tazz: :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well the Celeron isn't obsolete it is a budget chip. In general they have a slower FSB and less Cache than a full processor of their type. Celeron has been used for awhile so it could be a P3 based processor or it could be a p4 based processor. In general the celerons do not perform up to the standards of other processors for the reasons stated above. Whether a celeron is a good chip for you depends on many things, including what you will be using it for and quite frankly what you are use to. It might work fine if you have an much older computer but the other available processors will outperform it.

So what is it you want the computer to do?

What kind of software are you looking to run?

anubhav7_2000

anubhav7_2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My friend , If i just want to use it for multimedia work with adobe etc. or any MS office work & light gaming would CELERON be a good choice.
:) Right now I have AMD Athlon 500 MHz processor, it find it working fine , only thing is it is quite slow.

Also can u plz guide me on FSB & Cache. :tazz:
What do these mean wrt processor

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well cache is hi-speed memory built into or next to the processor ( depending on the type of processor). It increases performance for certain applications by putting often used modules in cache for quick and easy access. FSB is front side bus. It is listed as a speed in MHZ. It is used to determine what speed ( pc100, pc2100, pc2700 ) of memory to use in your system. Faster Memory than your FSB usually doesn't help but slower can slow or even cause the system to not function at all.

AS far as what you are doing....yes the celeron would probably work for you though it somewhat depends on your definition of "light gameing" and what kind of multimedia you are doing. IF you are talking about video editing I'm heard that raw speed ( MHZ not fsb but overall speed ) is what count's but I don't know from actual experience. Pictures editing if I remember correctly the biggest thing is lots of RAM so that should be fine as well...

NOTE however I'm no expert and have not done a lot of testing of these things. AS far as performance and such most of my knowledge is second hand( read it or heard it) so take this with a grain of salt. I'm a tech who spends all his time working on computers not testing them so maybe others will have a better explanation, opinion on performace than I. These days after work I hardly touch my own computer anymore :tazz: