Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver Question

• Please log in to reply

lydokane

lydokane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My work PC is running Win XP Pro. I am logging into a Novel network and the computer is utilizing Novel’s ZENworks suite.

Here is my situation. Many of the settings on our computers are “controlled” through the IT department in another state. One of the settings that I would like to change is the screensaver. Right now the screensaver is set for ten minutes of inactivity. The biggest problem I have is that if the screensave kicks in, the workstation locks and I have to log back in. I find this to be a colossal pain in the azz as I am often away from my workstation for more than ten minutes. When I attempted to go into the screensaver settings by right clicking on the desktop and choosing properties, the screensaver tab isn’t there. The only tabs that come up are Themes, Desktop, Appearance and Settings. Is there a config file that I can edit manually to make it so that I don’t have to log in every time the screensaver activates?

Getting the IT department to loosen the screensaver strangle hold is not an option.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click the desktop, properties then screensaver, use the drop down menu to set it to none, or extend the delay

lydokane

lydokane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you right click the desktop, properties then screensaver, use the drop down menu to set it to none, or extend the delay

View Post

Did you read my question? I CAN'T GET TO THE SCREENSAVER TAB! Is there a way to manually configure screensaver settings? A text file? A config file? A .ini file?

-Lydokane-

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Getting the IT department to loosen the screensaver strangle hold is not an option.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

View Post

Sorry but we aren't here to help circumvent policies established by your workplace or IT department.. If you want/need it changed, then they WILL have to be the one's doing it!!

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I apologise for missing the integral point of your question, however, the fact that you have to log in again if the screensaver kicks in, is probably a clever way of monitoring attendance and activity at the PC

As Murray correctly pointed out, if the tech dept have done something special to it, they will be the only ones who can alter it