Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wininet.dll accidentally removed

• Please log in to reply

a_carrot

a_carrot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

This is my first post on Geeks to go. Many times I have found it a most useful forum. I hope you geeks can help me with this one, too.
While removing mean malware from my system, Panda Activescan deleted an infected file. It was wininet.dll.
Back then I did not know about XP's cache of dll's. I grabbed for a copy with haste and supplied my OS with its internet extensions. Too soon, the version was too new. I haven't updated for a while. :tazz:
After I found the folder Dllcache I tried every means to overwrite the file with the retrieved original. Eventually I tried Pocket killbox. This resulted in the mess I am in today. The program, instead of copying the good file wininet.dll over the bad one in my System32 dir, deleted the only good copy I had of the file and left unharmed the one I had copied from an SP2 system.
I am not keen at all to install the XP again. I am asking you to help me get the file back and put it in its correct location. Help me! Please don't say its impossible...

Yours,
Jakko Rami
Helsinki, Finland

p.s. I am running XP Pro 2002 and if I am right the original wininet.dll was around 580k.
p.s.s. After I get the system working again I *promise* to install SP2!! :)

Edited by a_carrot, 06 September 2005 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just try running a REPAIR on XP..

You will have to re-install all Service Packs and critical updates/hotfixes but your files should not be affected!!

Murray

a_carrot

a_carrot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just try running a REPAIR on XP..

You will have to re-install all Service Packs and critical updates/hotfixes but your files should not be affected!!

Murray

View Post

Thanks Murray, for your faster than light response!
I'll let you know...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would use Dave's tool.
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/
Johanna