Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton systemworks trouble

• Please log in to reply

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
A while back I had a problem with windows, which i resolved by doing a system restore. However, the system restore also somehow messed up Norton Systemworks. Now I can't uninstall, reinstall, or use it at all.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Reptile_master...Welcome to G2G!

Which version of System Works do you have on your machine?

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go offline, uninstall Norton Systemworks, reboot, (still offline) reinstall NSW, go online for any updates, reboot. Cross fingers, eyes and pray.

Johanna

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No such luck in uninstalling it at all. Basically, what happens is that whenever I try to open up NSW it says that i need to activate it or whatever. But, when i tell it to "active now", it crashes on me. It wont let me uninstall it through the add/remove programs. I can't manually delete it because it says that several .dll files are in use by another program.
BTW this is NSW '05

Thanks, I appreciate all the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy Reptile_master....

Go Here and Download SymNRT.exe (about half way down the page)

Read ALL the instructions carefully and then remove your SystemWorks.

Now you can reinstall SystemWorks and it should go smoothly and work properly...remember to get all the avilable updates......

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 September 2005 - 10:48 PM.

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry for not posting back sooner. I've been busy with school/work.

Anyway...

I went and downloaded the program which appears to have uninstalled NSW, restarted and all that, But when i tried to reinstall it would start then say that the uninstallation failed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HI Reptile_master...

Please go to the Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs and see if there are any Symantec entries there...look particularly for "Live Update" and "Live Reg". If there are any present, uninstall them. Then navigate to C:\Program Files and delete any Symantec folders there.

Reboot your machine and try to install the application.

It's these kinds of issues that prompt me to recommend leaving Norton on a machine once it has been installed...very messy to remove!

Let me know how you do....

wannabe1

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok. I tried searching, deleting, then rebooting. but the installation still fails .

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reptile_master...

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /unregister (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".

Your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /regserver (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".

Again, your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

After msiexec is unregistered and re-registered, reinstall your Norton program.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok. Norton is now installed. now the problem is that I can't get it to activate.

Everytime i try to, it stops responding. Any suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reptile_master...

Glad you got it reinstalled...what a pain, huh????

The reactivation can be just as tough sometimes...you might try going to the Subscription Troublshooter on the Symantec site and see if that's any help. I'm trying to remember all the various things I've run up against trying to do this...I'll keep working on it...give the link a try.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reptile_master

If the Troubleshooter doesn't help, try this...Update the VeriSign Root Certificate

Start your Internet Browser and go to VeriSign Root Certificate Authority Update
Click click here.
Click Accept.
Click Open.
Click Install Certificate.
Follow the prompts in the Certificate Import Wizard to install the certificate.
Click OK

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that doesn't work, try to Register Your Product again.

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 06:06 PM.