Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

denkodt

denkodt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello;

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, my laptop has Windows XP on it, and whenever it feels like, it just turns off and restarts. there is no warning, or anything. No blue screen, it just goes black all of a sudden, and then I just see the bios and it restarts. I know I don't have any viruses or spyware, so at this point I'm stuck

thanks

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi and Welcome,

Well, random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or power supply. You need to investigate each to find out which one is causing the reboot. If you go to my computer right click it, choose manage, and look at the event viewer you will probably see red x's right click those and choose properties this will tell you detailed info on what is causing the crash. You can also send a message to Microsoft and look at their knowledge base for additional details and possible solutions.

Another thing to try, but be careful because if the PC is overheating then this may cause more damage then good. So before you try doing this, make sure the PC isn't crashing due to overheating.

If your running Windows XP try this:

Open Control Panel\System\Advanced tab\startup & recovery box\settings button, and take the check out of Automatically restart box. Then check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes. This will force a BSOD on the next crash (thats why it restarts...its crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code.

You can research that error code on Google, make sure you copy it down, exact word-for-word.

Hope that helps :tazz:

B

denkodt

denkodt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks a lot for the quick response. Also one another thing is, that the reboots happen mainly when I am connected to the internet, but I know for sure that I don't have any viruses or spyware. You also mentioned overheating, how can I check whether my laptop is overheating, because when I checked the Event Viewer, there were very few red x's and not at times of any of the crashes. mostly just application hang, but I uninstalled that application anyway. Also, my laptop has a fan that is constantly on throughout the entire time the laptop is on, so it could be hard to imagine that it can overheat. I'm not sure if the fan is supposed to be on the entire time, but it was on ever since I bought it. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by denkodt, 07 September 2005 - 10:11 AM.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Do you have dialup or cable/dsl? You might want to make sure you don't have the Blaster or Sasser worm. Do you get any messages before it restarts or does it just restart out of nowhere?

I'd try getting it to BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), by following the directions I gave, then you can research the STOP error code on Google to help find out what the problem is. The fans should always be running. It helps keep the laptop cool, though even though they are running it can still overheat.

Hope that helps. :tazz:

B

denkodt

denkodt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I connect to a school network, so I guess it's a T3 or something like that. When it comes to restarting, what happens is that all of a sudden I see a blank screen, as if someone took out the power, and I'm immediately back in BIOS. This all takes place in a matter of a second. I'm working on something, and bam, I'm restarting. But now I will try the blue screen thing and see what comes up.

from the time I followed your procedure for the blue screen, my laptop crashed 3 times already, and no blue screen. The same thing happen as always, screen turns black and it immediately restarts. No worms or spywares found using many different tools. Maybe you would have some other tricks up your sleeve, because outside of that restarting, there is absolutely nothing else wrong with the laptop. thanks again for your help

Edited by denkodt, 08 September 2005 - 02:39 PM.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hey,

It definetly sounds like something is overheating. Other than that I can not really think of anything else that would cause it to do something like that. As for an overheating laptop. I'm not really sure what you could do to get better airflow inside the case.... Maybe someone as another idea as to what to do or maybe another idea totally.

Also, try to make sure the laptop is on a flat surface. Might also want to try having it raised up a bit like proping it up so it can circulate air. If you're still having issues I might call the manufactuer of the laptop and see what they can do, assuming it's under warranty....

B

Edited by Besttechie, 11 September 2005 - 03:06 PM.