Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing works on ME

• Please log in to reply

Saigon

Saigon

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
No programs work and my monitor only works on 16 colours and at 640x480. The only things that work are my mouse the keyboard and DOS. Someone please help

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Tell us somethng about the circumstances of this happening. Without some kind of information about them we don't have any better idea than you do.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Saigon...Welcome to G2G!

Let's try to get your machine to start in Safe Mode.

Press and hold the Ctrl key down while restarting your machine...then choose Safe Mode from the Start up Menu. If you are able to enter Safe Mode, do a system restore.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

You will be presented with two options on the Welcome page:

• Restore my computer to an earlier time
• Create a restore point

Click "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click Next...A calendar appears.

In the calendar, choose which Restore Point to roll your system back to...choose a date before your problem began...Click Next.

You will be prompted to close all applications before completing the Restore process because the computer will restart...Upon completion of the restart, a confirmation screen appears. Click OK to continue to the desktop.

Post back to this thread with your results..good OR bad.

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I turned off the computer and when I turned it on again it just turned out like that. There was a problem before where it was the same but the mouse didnt work but I fixed until it was just some programs that didnt work and now its gone back to the way it was except the mouse works and I cant fix it. Also system restore doesnt work. Ive tried doing system restore every way I could but it doesnt work.

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I forgot to mention MMSYSTEM.DLL and KERNEL32.DLL keep causing problems and it seems to be all going wrong in C:\windows\system32\drivers folder

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napol้on!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your ME disk or a system restore disk t hat came with the computer?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't recall a Windows\Sytem32\drivers folder? That must be something added when you installed something. Did you install any kind of hardware or software when this started happening.? It's also possible that malware may be making and using a folder with that name. The entire folder can be deleted in ms-dos but you will need a boot disk to do it.

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I do have the Windows Installation dask and a load of other disks for windows and I tried every one of them and all failed to do anything. I used the System Configuration Utility to troubleshoot the system a while ago and I found that it was the drivers folder in the system.ini tab that was making it go wrong. I then searched for folders named drivers and found this one to be the one that was causing the trouble. Whether it was there when we got the computer or not I dont know. There has been nothing installed or uninstalled since June other than Everest but I got Everest to try and figure out whats wrong after I read something in here about it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...

I do have the Windows Installation dask and a load of other disks for windows

Is your ME install disk a Full retail version, an OEM version, or an upgrade from 95/98? Have you made an ME Startup Disk?

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
We bought the computer from dell and the CD came with it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...

Do you have a lot of files on this machine that you want to keep or would a complete system recovery be an option that is acceptable to you?

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm going to put an aside in besides what wannabe is saying. Do you have any kind of zip utility? If you don't you can download a nice one called 7-zip, it's completely free. What you can do is make a zipped copy of the entire drivers folder and then delete the folder. Then check on how the machine works. If it gets back to normal then you know that the driver folder contains the trouble maker. If there is some kind of new problem, with say the video, then you'll know what the drivers are for. If you want to try that get back and tell us what happens.

Edited by Tyger, 08 September 2005 - 04:53 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanx tyger...always room for options other than a full recovery!!!! :tazz:

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It wont let me delete Drivers or move it from where it is so that wont work. I tried to adjust the monitor settings again and now the monitor is back to normal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Saigon...

I'm glad you got your monitor back to normal. What about the rest of the issues you listed in your first post??? Are you still having problems in those areas? Did you try the System Restore as I suggested in post #3?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 08:17 AM.