Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing works on ME

• Please log in to reply

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Everything else listed still not working and there is no system restore point from before this all happened. What would a complete system recovery involve?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...

First, it is important that you realize that a complete recovery will remove all files and programs that were not on your machine at the time of purchase.

Before we go that far, let's try one more thing. Go HERE and download the OEM version bootdisk for ME...put a floppy in your disk drive and doubleclick the downloaded file to create a startup disk.

On the bad machine...go to the BIOS settings and set the floppy drive as First Boot Device...put the newly created floppy in the floppy drive and reboot. At the options screen...press F5 to get to the A: prompt and type C:

At the C: prompt type windows\command\scanreg /fix(Note the space before /) and press "Enter" Type Y to accept the scan and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so if the machine does not reboot, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart.

I've got to step out for a bit, but will check on your progress when I return.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 09:23 AM.

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
How do you go to the BIOS Settings?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon

When you restart your machine, on the bottom of the first screen you see (the boot screen) there should be a line of text that reads "Press [key] to enter setup". The actual key varies between manufacturers, but it is usually the F1 or Delete key. On some it is F2...

Your best option if F1 and Delete fail is to watch the bottom of that first screen.

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It keeps saying "Invalid System Disk"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...

Do you have a floppy disk in the floppy drive? If so, remove it and try again...

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I figured out what was wrong. I downloaded it straight onto the floppy rather than opening it on the hard drive. It keeps on saying there is something wrong with my floppy disks though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...It sounds like you didn't create the startup disk correctly. Follow these instructions exactly.

Go HERE and download the OEM version bootdisk for ME to your desktop this time...put a floppy in your disk drive and doubleclick the downloaded file to create a startup disk (this will take a minute and you will see a progress window). When the floppy is finished, put it in the "bad" machine and reboot. Then follow the procedure outlined in post #17.

I just created a disk this way as a test and it worked flawlessly.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 September 2005 - 11:58 AM.

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Nope it keeps putting up the message "Disk error on track 7, head 0. Floppy Error" but it says this no matter what floppy I put in.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm :tazz:

Go back into the BIOS setup and chek to see the floppy set to first boot device and make sure that it is enabled (sounds like it is, though.) Have you had problems with the floppy drive in the past?

What operating system is on the machine you are using right now?

wannabe1

Advertisements

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ME. Should I try ignoring the message and then try it anyway

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Lets make a startup disk with the machine you are now using and try that...

Put a fresh floppy disk in the machine you are now using.

Click Start then Settings then Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs...under the "Start up Disk" tab, click Create Disk...your disk will be created.

Then put that disk in the bad machine and reboot.

wannabe1

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry tried that did not help at all

Saigon

Saigon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It was the floppy disks that were wrong and I found one that worked. I used the scanreg thing and when it tried to boot afterwards it came up with this message written on a blue screen:

While Initializing Device IFSMGR
The Microsoft Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has beeninstalled

System halted

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Saigon...

Using your startup disk, choose the option to start Windows with cd-rom support, put your ME installation cd in the cd-rom drive, and run setup again. This will reinstall ME over itself and should replace the missing files.

wannabe1