Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can an installation disk be created?

• Please log in to reply

shampton2

shampton2

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there. I am wondering if an installation disk can be created from a program already installed on my computer. Essentially, my husband did not heed my warning to copy the $2.5K program CD, and the company will not replace it, even though the CD shattered into a million bits in the disk drive, which is now also unusable.

So is there some program or something I can do to extract all of the files related to that program (including registry entries, if possible), or figure out which files and registry entries are associated with the program so I can create a backup disk ... which should have been done in the first place!? But, I'm not one to be judgmental, so ...

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Summarah :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Given the value of the program what I would suggest under the circumstances is to get a new hard drive, 80gb is probably large enough, the same size as the one in the machine would be just fine, and clone your current operating system to it and keep it for back up. You will need the software to do that, it will be included with any major brand, Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate, etc. If you just buy a drive, or have one sitting around, go the mfrs. website and download the software for your purpose. Don't use a brand that you don't have the right software for, some makers do not include the software, it may not copy correctly and you may get errors.

This should cost about $100 and take a couple of hours time. You may find that the copied drive will only work in the original computer because the software makers, including Microsoft will use "identifiers" to keep people from using a copy on multiple machines.

shampton2

shampton2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey thanks, Tyger. I hadn't thought of that. I'll pass this info along to my hubby, as he is ultimately the responsible party.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Summarah :tazz: