Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy disk problems

• Please log in to reply

kalder

kalder

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi!
I have a problem with my floppy disk driver. Actually I always had some problems, but they never reached the actual level...I can't read/use any floppy disk, my driver blocks any time I try, starts making a repetitive noise and I need to physically remove the disk and press ctrl+alt+canc to restore a "normal" situation on my pc.
I've just bought a new floppy disk drive, uninstalled the old one and put the brand new one, but it makes the same thing...just less noisy... ;)
I've already tried to reinstall everything (I guess) but it doesn't seem to work. What's more, even once uninstalled the floppy disk drive and rebooted the system with the floppy disk driver physically disconnected, I found (in Control Panel/system/hardware/ecc...) the floppy disk drive controller still present! How strange (for me...! :tazz: )
So, please give me some hint/help to solve the question...
Thanks a lot,
kalder

Advertisements

Ptolemy

Ptolemy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, the floppy drive is defined in the bios as being present. Therefore, even if you disconnect the drive, it will show up in your operating system. Floppy drives aren't 'plug and play' devices so they aren't sensed by Windows.

The first thing to check is your anti-virus software. Anti-virus software can have options for blocking floppy disk access.

headhunter600

headhunter600

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What does your bios say about the floppy? Did you try a different cable with the new drive or used an old one?

If recognized by your bios, What exactly is the error message when you try to read a floppy?

kalder

kalder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thaks guys, but now the thins should be ok! I simply changed the drive and bought some new disks...no more problems encountered...
Btw...i also bought a pendrive!!!! ;-)