Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Long shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I've been having a problem shutting down my computer for quite some time. When I shut down or restart the computer, it usually takes about 5-10 minutes, unless the computer has just been turned on. I have autoupdate turned off, I do have Norton Internet Security 2005 which I know takes some of the time, but I didn't think it should take that long. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
First things first, get rid of Norton IS as it is a major piece of a four-letter-word. It does more harm then good. Nowadays, spyware is what you have to be careful of. Download and install Microsoft Antispyware (google for 'download Microsoft Antispyware' don't worry it's FREE :tazz: ) and get rid of Norton IS. Also, I would check how many items are in your startup tab in MSConfig. Everything that's in there has to be 'unloaded' during shutdown which can increase shutdown time.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: eventvwr.msc.
Press <enter>.
After the "Event Viewer" is open.
Go through the Application, System and Security Logs.
In the right-pane of the window, you will have various events.
Can you check if you have events with event-no. 1517 or 1524 with source as Userenv at the same time as you shutdown.
If and only if such events are present, download: User Profile Hive Cleanup, which a service from Microsoft, that frees up hanging registry key at shutdown, and hence increasing speed of shutdown.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Caseyb...

Darth's suggestion is the way to go AND leave Norton Internet Security on the machine. It's bulky and it may not be the absolute best AV available, but it's still a good application and a necesary protection. PLUS it doesn't always uninstall cleanly and that can lead to even more problems!

wannabe1

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I had already downloaded the cleanup hive service and it hasn't seemed to help. It may have cut a little time off of the shutdown process but not much. I don't know if maybe there is an application hang or what, but it's been going on for quite some time. I have also turned off a lot of startup programs that were not necessary, but there is no way in heck that I am going to run a computer without virus protection, even if NIS isn't the best and hogs resources. Microsoft Anti-Spyware is great in conjunction with an antivirus program, but not quite by itself. Thanks for the suggestions, let me know if you have anything else.

Thank you.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
You've probably tried everything, but see if anything in this link cud help
http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.htm

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well, none of those suggestions applied to me so it wasn't really any help to me. But thank you for the link and the suggestion.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Long shutdowns can be caused by Automatic Updates, some of the updates don't want to install together.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Windows Autoupdate is turned off on my computer, I have heard that before, but it did not seem to help either. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Any other suggestions?