Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DrWatson

• Please log in to reply

Toad0789

Toad0789

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This thing came into my machine. I understand it is not a virus. Anyway, whenever I use widows explorer it locks up my computer and i ahve to go to the task manager and "end the process" to free the machine. How can I get rid of this Dr Watson bug?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
do you have service pack 2 installed? If not it's wise to update it. If you do have it installed, I suggest you go to START->RUN and type in 'sfc /scannow'. You will need your xp disc in the drive to do this as it will check all your windows files and make sure they are correct.

If that doesn't work, you can always do a 'repair' installation of windows xp

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
DO NOT UPDATE TO SERVICE PACK2 UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOUR SYSTEM IS CLEAN. MICROSOFT WARNS THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO CAUSE SEVERE PORBLEMS THAT WAY.

There is a piece of malware around that creates these Dr Watson problems

We have a special forum here at Geekstogo for malware removal. If malware is not correctly removed, severe problems can result.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.