Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen help when microsoft wont

• Please log in to reply

variable

variable

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Every now and then my computer when turned on will show the blue screen of death. the error message is 0x0000008E. I searched this on the microsoft help site and found that it was a problem with Internet Explorer and that I would have to pay to get help fixing the problem. I am wondering whether or not uninstalling IE will help or not. I dont know what to do. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What version of IE do you have? If it's not 6.0.2900.2180, I suggest you go to windows update and install it. If you do have it, try reinstalling it by going here

variable

variable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:) :ph34r: I tried that but i am already current and worse, it is getting more frequenty now whenever i want to power up my computer i have to restore it! Help this is getting frustrating :) what would happen if i just unistalled it?If its possible. :tazz:

pls help.
thx :)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmmm....does it ever happen outside of IE?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From what I've read it sounds more like your hard drive is going. I suggest you back up what you have and get a new hard drive before it's too late and you lose everything.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You cannot remove IE from XP w/o breaking XP. Fenor is probably right, too- you have a hardware, not a software, problem.

Johanna

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
there are many things that could cause it, im saying software, because last week we replaced every part of a computer and it still kept crashing blue screen style(and i mean, every part, even the case). We replaced the install Cd, and it worked fine. I do agree, it is most likely hardware, have you got Pc-Check handy?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
On the BSoD does it say what file is causing the problem?

Could be damaged RAM:
Download, burn and run memtest86 (Bootable ISO version), to scan your RAM for damage.

Could be a faulty device-driver or system-file:
Can boot into safe-mode?
If yes check your "Device Manager" and "Event Viewer".

Edited by darth_ash, 15 September 2005 - 01:19 AM.

variable

variable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont even use IE, and my pc checker says that everything is fine. At this point I am hoping it is software related if so I will gladly switch to linux but if it is hardware i am screwed what do you think would be wrong with the hard drive? thanks for all of your help i apreciate it
thx
variable

Edited by variable, 15 September 2005 - 08:50 PM.