Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Erratic cpu usage. Slow to load

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have an AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz cpu. 512 mb RAM. 200gb seagate IDE hdd. I run Windows XP. I have IE, but hardly ever use it as my main browser is FireFox.

Just lately, in the last week, my computer has been very noticibly sluggish. Everything the computer does overtaxes the cpu. Just opening a program will spike the cpu up to 95-100% for 5-10 seconds.

The programs seems to settle down in cpu usage afterwards, hanging around 5-10%. But anytime you do something such as save or exit, ect, it spikes up again. If you have two programs open and wait for them to stabalize, then merely switch from one program to the other, the cpu spikes again.

This also happens quite badly on startup, taking 2 or more minutes at the xp loading screen. It's not a smoothe load either, as it starts of with the blue bar scrolling across the screen at a constant speed, then it slows down and gets jerky.

I wouldn't be so worried if this didn't just happen in the last few days. I have done everything that the instructions said in the "You must read this before posting" thread, using TrojanHunter and nod32 as the anti trojan/AV. Windows has been patched up to latest SP and has been for months. Also my Hijackthis log has come back clean.

I'd appreciate some help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It seems to me that you have a malware problem which is causing all your problems. I suggest you START HERE and see what can be done.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Do what Fenor told first and then clean your temporary files and Prefetch as they could slow your system down and you could also gain more space!
RockyIV
Some Programs:
CleanUp!
CCleaner!
CleanCache 3.1!
And then manually clean up 'Prefecth'
(Sorry can post links, Stupid computer wont play the sites...really old computer)

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't know but I think I mentioned that I have already been in the malware forum, and had my Hijackthis log appraised. I worked with coachwife, and we could not find any problems.

So spyware/malware is out. This is why I'm here now.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Well okay then check my earlier post.
RockyIV

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yeah, run disk cleanup or Ccleaner and take out the crap, also run CHKDSK from safe mode and defragment your system after that, it may help speedup things, worth a try. You could check your Fragmentation levels first as the windows defragger will not defrag ur MFT and paging file.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks Dagger! That too! And you can find those downloads here on GTG! Top left hand corner goto downloads!
RockyIV

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've already used Cleanup to clean up all the files. I run diskkeeper pro, it's defragged totally.

I've done CHKDSK on all drives, but not from safemode. Does it matter? Because CHKDSK works before windows loads up.

As to prefetch, what is it? How do I clean it up?

Thanks for your suggestions, I've done most of them already, but all the same it's good to know I'm doing things right.

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
To clean prefetch, go to start-> run-> then type prefetch. Delete all the files in that folder then empty your recycling bin. Also you could try running disk cleanup. :tazz: