Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP doesnt look modern...

• Please log in to reply

Absorb

Absorb

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
And NO im not getting paid for this, this is my aunts computer.

Ok, I downloaded a few spyware removal programs, and then after I finish I noticed that the window xp look is gone, now all the windows and task bar look like the older windows versions...

How do i get the skins/gui/graphics back??

I tried going to "set program access and defaults" I clicked on "Custom" and then under "Default Virtual Machine" I switched from "current virtual machine" to "Microsoft Virtual Machine"

I thought when i downloaded and installed java, maybe the winxp grapics couldnt run anymore?

But now im thinking the Spyware programs deleted some kind of system file that helped run the winxp skin...

Is there a way to download the files needed if they were deleted?

Edited by Absorb, 06 September 2005 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Absorb, go here and download resources.zip from Kelly's Korner. While extracting make very sure the destination path of extraction is c:\windows and nothing else (if ur XP is on different drive u can change the letter) Also make sure that the Themes services isn't disabled in windows services (START->RUN and type 'services.msc') If it is disabled, change it to Automatic.

Edited by Fenor, 06 September 2005 - 07:28 PM.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, Well first going to check out services.msc and reboot if it is actually disabled.. if that doesnt work, then I'm going to try that link.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Absorb...Welcome to G2G!

Fenor's solution (resources.zip) works almost everytime...it's good advice...

wannabe1

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yes it worked perfectly, How did you know i was missing those files?

mann... seems like i have ALOT more learning to do than i thought...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
LOL you aint kidding, just from reading the posts in these forums I've learned more then a 4 year degree taught me. :tazz: