Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor screen size changes

• Please log in to reply

eusjma

eusjma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am running Windows XP Home edition. I have a 17" CRT monitor. I have recently started experiencing this problem. After the computer/monitor has been on for a little while (few hours or less) the screen size suddenly changes as follows. The width or horizontal aspect changes to where the left and right sides of the screen/window are beyond the width of the monitor. The vertical aspect doesn't change. When I check the display settings they are as they should be. The only way I can get the screen to fit the visible area of the monitor is to change the aspect ratios on the monitor itself. But that basically zooms out I think - nothing looks normal when I do that.

Sometimes if I leave it powered down for a little while (the monitor), it comes back normal but soon 'stretches' the window again.

I thought it might be the video card but I have a 2nd computer connected to this monitor via a KVM switch and it does the same thing.

Would a monitor going bad cause this to happen? Any chance the KVM switch could cause this (I don't really see how but thought I would ask)?

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before or has an idea what might cause this.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the long note.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Every thing you indicate points to the monitor. If there is someone you can swap monitors with for a while to confirm this that would be a good way to do it. It may be a heat related problem, a coupling capacitor with an intermittent connection, etc.. I've never gotten involved with repairing monitors so I can't advise on the "fixability" of it.

Edited by Tyger, 06 September 2005 - 07:27 PM.

eusjma

eusjma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just a small update:

I haven't had the chance to try another monitor but did notice the following:

When I change the screen resolution to 800 x 600, I don't have the problem of the monitor 'changing the screen size'. I normally have it set for 1024 x 768 - this is where I experience the problem.

If I change from 800x600 back to 1024 x 768 I get the same problem immediately.

mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey hey i am exited
even me is got the same problem
so wats the solution
pls tell
sumone ????
my computer is haunted
nothing is working
so sum one if tell me