Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VX2.Look2me infection

• Please log in to reply

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
1. Download "Registry Search Tool" (RegSrch.vbs) from here
http://www.billsway.com/vbspage/

2. Start it and paste block checker, wait for it to complete the search, click ok at the prompt.

3. Then when wordpad opens, copy the content back into this thread please

Most good programs will do what CW shredder will do now. It is basically for cool web search infections which you dont have

Safe mode problem- not yet although your the third person thats came back saying they no longer had the safe mode problem :tazz:

Advertisements

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran the registry search tool and it found no instances of Block Checker or block-checker.

Anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks for all your help.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Lets clean your registry

Download regcleaner

1.) Download and install it.

2.)Click on the RegCleanr.exe

3.)Tools (at the top) > Registry Cleanup > Do Them All

4.)Then 'Select' (at top left) > choose ALL Remove Selected" (at bottom right)

A backup of all that was removed will be made, just choose 'Backups' (top right) to view them, you can delete them when you're confident they're no longer needed.

You should be fine after this. Let me know how it goes

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I installed the RegCleanr but when I ran it, it encountered a regcleanr.exe error and shut down. I checked the back up tab and nothing was saved. Also It doesn't always open when selected - like I have to repeatedly try until it catches.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Ok uninstall it lets try another one

Backup the registry by going to Start>Run> and type "regedit" without the quotes. Then on the file menu choose ‘export’ in XP. Export the file to your Desktop.

If a restore of the registry is required in case of emergency, just click on the exported regfile on your desktop, and answer YES to the question whether you want to merge this file with the registry. Wait until you get a message saying something like Merge Successfull.

Download reg seeker from here

1.extract it from the zip file to a convenient location

2.Open reg seeker

3.Click on clean the registry and allow it to finish

4.Open and close all your programs to make sure everything is running ok

Let me know how it goes :tazz:

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran the cleaner and it found 2348 entries - are these the dead ones? Before I do anything I wanted to check with you. Should I select them all and select Delete. Can I undo anything if something is amiss?

I'll wait for your instructions before running it again.

thanks

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
If you followed my post about backing up your registry you can. This program also creates backups if something goes wrong :tazz:

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran the cleaner a couple of days ago and the normal programs & internet seems to be running fine. I have not tried every program installed - but so far so good.

Is there a usual program that can be affected that I can then see if it has been affected in some way.

And no more pop ups.

Thank You,

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
No ,no usual program. More of a precautionary measure. If everything seems ok now it probably is. :tazz: