Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Change File Type

• Please log in to reply

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I recently have been trying to set up an Ultima Online Shard while changing some directories in my Map0.mul file i opened with notepad and forgot to unclick always open with and now it always opens with notepad and the program can no longer read it i need to now how to turn it back so the program that it is to be opened with is undefined... not sure if this was the right place to post this...

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You have to go into the registry and change the file association. Start>Run, type in regedit, hit OK, expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, look for the file type in question, expand it until you find something like open with Notepad, don't remove the Key, just modify it by removing Notepad from between the quotation marks.

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
on my xp comp that would work but the comp i have everything on is windows 2000 regedit opens a dos script that goes by in like 1.4 seconds and closes itself

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

on my xp comp that would work but the comp i have everything on is windows 2000 regedit opens a dos script that goes by in like 1.4 seconds and closes itself

View Post

Ya got me, but somehow you have to either edit the registry or find a way to change the file association. You may be able to view file types in folder options and change it there. Hopefully someone will come along with the right way.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Ya got me, but somehow you have to either edit the registry or find a way to change the file association. You may be able to view file types in folder options and change it there. Hopefully someone will come along with the right way.

View Post

Nope.. you have it already Tyger.. If they can't get into Regedit then their only option would be through Folder Options>File Types!!

Murray