Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU 2.1GHz, System shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, I got a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ in a ASUS A7V600-X motherboard. Ok, when I set the CPU to 2.1GHz in the BIOS system boots fine but like if I want to run Half-Life 2 it just shuts down without warning. Works fine and dandy if I set the CPU down to 1.75GHz but 3000+ can operate at 2.1GHz don't like loosing my hertz. Any suggestions? Oh and system specs below.

Xorgroth

Win XP (Main)
768MB PC2700 RAM
480W Antec Neopower supply
Processor, Main board listed above.
Got two IDE HDDs and a DVD-RW in there...

Advertisements

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
whats the temp of ur CPU sounds like its overheating.

Lion

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Roughly around 114F/46C, stays that same at both speeds I set it too. 1750 or 2100...

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, just an update...new Case to finish off the whole upgrade thing and the CPU temp is down to about 10 degrees.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If your cpu temp at idle is now down to 36C it is not a overheat issue, I take it this is the case because ealier you said it was 46C and now with the new case it droped about 10C, Am I correct that it is now 36C or so?

Amd makes to barton core 3000+ processors one is a 400mhz and the other is 333 mhz, witch do you have?.

I have a idea that could be the problem but I need to know witch processor you have.

If you have the 400 mhz cpu the problem could be the ram you are using because its pc2700 witch runs at a speed of 333/166mhz. Amd systems especially barton core like to run the memory clock and cpu fsb in sync for greatest stability and when running the cpu at its rated speed of 2100mhz this would equal a fsb setting of 400/200 mhz but the ram is running at 333/166mhz thus out of sync and creating instability, but when you underclock the cpu to 1750mhz you are then running at a fsb of 333/166mhz the same as the ram and the system is stable.

Do you follow me here?

This does not happen with all systems but I have seen it before and the only solution when running pc2700 ram with the 400 mhz processor was to underclock the processor.

The other solution of course would be to get some pc 3200 ram.

Rick

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah, I follow ya. I had PC3200 512MB and tried the going to the 2100MHz and did the exact samething, then I went in to do something on the motherboard and most likely zapped the RAM, so had to change it out, with a 2700 and just figured add on to it. It is a Barton 400 FSB, rechecked the serial earlier today when I was switching cases and showed up as a Barton 400 FSB. Since I've had running for last 5 or 6 hours is staying at the CPU temp of 40C/104F...don't think it is a overheating problem.
Guess, I'll underclock it for a bit or see how far up I can do and still run good with it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
40c at idle is a very good temp for a barton core, you may see as high as 52c when under full load and thats ok to.

Let me think about this one and look into it a little further and I'll get back to you.

Rick

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, thought I'd update a bit. Somehow it didn't occur to me until awhile ago that I would just set the Mem freq. to 333 and keep it right at that spot. Works now at 2.1GHz...the cool temp. Yeah, I'm suprized stock cooler from an old 1400+ or 1300+ I can't remember, haven't seen anything over 45C. But been thinking about a new copper heatsink...since I don't like to put water near my PC...still hate the idea of water cooling....

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh, I should have asked what ram clock you set I just assumed you had it "by spd", That was my next question but I guess you'll be good now

Rick