Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

printer not working

• Please log in to reply

morningxglow

morningxglow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
this is kind of a long story about my printer, any help would be appreciated.

i bought both my laptop (dell inspiron 1150) and my printer (dell personal all-in-one printer a940) at the same time; june of 2004.

i used both the laptop and the printer from august 2004-december 2004, then the printer sat in a box until two weeks ago (i used the computer, however). i got back to school, hooked up the printer... and it doesn't work. well, let me rephrase that -- the printer is actually a scanner/copier/printer. it copies fine. i can scan, it brings up the "all in one center", but then i cannot do anything with the scanned image -- i can't send it to another program, i can't save it. obviously i can't print at all.

the only way i can get the all-in-one center to come up is by pressing the scan button on the scanner. when i try to open it manually, i get "the dell AIO printer A940 printer driver is not installed. please reinstall your printer driver". (that itself is weird, because the printer icon shows up in the taskbar whenever it's plugged in, and i never uninstalled the printer). then i go control panel --> printers & other hardware --> view installed printers or fax printers, and there is indeed nothing installed. i click on "add a printer", and i get "operation could not be completed. the print spooler service is not running".

i looked up how to enable the print spooler service (services --> print spooler --> start). whenever i try to do this, i get "Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

after this, i again looked up what to do, and got the impression that i needed to download the Windows Resource Kit and run cleanspl.exe. i downloaded the resource kit, ran cleanspl.exe. it asked for the name of my computer and where to save the spooler log (or whatever), and before it could run this message came up: "unable to enumerate the files in the directory \\[computer name]\C$\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers matching the files '*.spl'. the network path was not found. the specified directory cannot be validated".

i'm pretty much at a loose end right now, as i haven't been able to find any suggestions on what to do next. i think i've done everything i can so far in order to fix this, and it's still not working. please help me if you can; i'm getting really frustrated. thanks.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Dell A940 Printer
Date: 7th Sept-2005

Try the basics 1st :

1- Right Click [PRINTER ICON] (Activates pull down menu)
2- Verify that printer is checked [Φ] for: [DEFAULT PRINTER]
3- Verify that printer is not checked for: [Φ] for: [USE PRINTER OFFLINE]

If it still is not printing – Check for USB connection:

4- Left Click [START] > [SETTINGS] > Left Click [PRINTERS] folder

5- Locate your printer & Right Click – Slide down menu & Left Click [PROPERTIES] –

6- Left Click [PORTS] Tab – Verify a USB Port is checked [Φ]

If none of this gets printer ONLINE – then we will use [ADMINISTRAVE TOOLS] to set printer up –

Your printer is USB connected & perhaps some Windows Update may require an up-to-date USB Driver??

Of course you know that Dell is a $$ Proprietary Computer Company $$ – probably have limited you from getting too much help??? for free $$$

Here is a review on Printer – It has some other info that may be of value to you – Browse thru page for links for [SPECS] & [FULL REVIEW]

http://reviews.zdnet...39118326,00.htm

Jack123