Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Maybe just two questions - Compaq 5150, WIN98

Old HD quit, I'm not quiting on it. Still want to retrieve data.

1 - if I install (screw, brackets and all) new Seagate HD but want to put old Maxtor HD in middle connection of ribbon at a later date - do I leave new HD set to Master or Cable select. Note - Seagate settings refer to it as Master, Slave off.

2 - and most importantly, how do I know that my old HD is DEAD and I should absolutely give up trying to get the data - myself?
I tried with new HD to Master, old to Slave - it went through the Compaq logo then a blank screen with blinking cursor at upper left.
I tried new to Master, old to Cable Select - no Compaq, just blank, blink up left.
New to Cable Select, old to CS - Compaq logo then blank, blink up left.

While the cursor is blinking the old HD seems to have a repititious noise that lasts about 10 seconds long then there is a almost 10 second delay before it tries again.

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the Seagate setting refer to it as master, slave off, then change both drives to cable select if you have the proper 80 wire cable with the blue, grey and black connectors.

Good luck.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'm using the cable that came with Maxtor when the original Compaq HD died. I see the blue, grey and black connectors. The Seagate HD works fine by itself so since the Maxtor worked good on that cable I'll assume (I hate that word) I do have an 80 wire cable.

Ummm, what response to the second part of my earlier post?

Thanks for your time.

bamakodaker

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The cable that came with the Maxtor is an 80 pin, and you tried it with both set to cable select. From your description the old hard drive is dead and won't even let you boot up in the slave position on the cable. Sounds like fini for it.