Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovery console

• Please log in to reply

mmboalch

mmboalch

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7]

I cannot boot my pc with the win xp pro cd. It starts and will not give me the option to recover. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain the recovery console files I can burn onto a cd? I do not have and floppy disks on hand and I would like to get into my pc tonight?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is your first boot device in BIOS set to the cd-rom??

If so, then just boot using the XP cd.. You should see a message along the bottom that says something like "press any key to boot from cd".. Press one..

Now, you should get the option to go into the Recovery Console..

Please note: This will only work with an original XP cd.. if you are using one you or someone made for you, then the setup is entirely different!!

Murray

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes I am set for my first boot to go to my cd. I have a copy of Win xp from my pc man. He also gave me three recovery cds for my dell and those do not work either???

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My dell is a different pc!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I have a copy of Win xp from my pc man.  He also gave me three recovery cds for my dell and those do not work either???

View Post

Is this an original XP cd or did he make it??

As for the Dell disks, unless they are specific for your system, they won't work..

Where are YOUR Dell recovery cd's or XP cd or did you upgrade this system to XP??

Murray

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I bought my pc from Aarons Sales and Rental. They did not have the Cd so they said. My pc man said that he downloaded these from the website for my pc from dell. So they should be good? I have had no problem with my dell so I have not used them yet. I did try them on my problem pc and they would not let me go to the recovery option. It starts and I press F8 and choose boot from cd it comes up windows set up starts the scan of my files and goes directly to windows start up. I am familiar with the recovery option but it will not go to it???

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
They are legally required to provide you with the cd.. Suggest you contact them and advise them if they don't supply it, you will be contacting Microsoft and giving them their name as possibly installing pirated software..

If the problem system is not a Dell, then those disks will never work as they are specific to your computer..

Murray

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
They advised me that the prior owner did not return them??? They said they would try and get me some copies??? I am withholding my payment until they supply the cds.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

They advised me that the prior owner did not return them??? They said they would try and get me some copies???  I am withholding my payment until they supply the cds.

View Post

Perfect.. Don't accept a copy.. If it is NOT in an original packaged XP cd WITH a legal key code, don't accept it..

As it stands, because you don't have the original disk, you are technically running pirated software as the original owner could re-install that version of XP into a new system, activate it and leave you with an unsupported XP version !!

Murray

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My dell pc is not the problem I am having. Can I do anything to get problem pc to work. Do I have to purchase a new copy of win xp to get it up and running, I hope not???? I bought this pc from a private person and win xp pro was on it. Can I do a clean reinstall??

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Do I have to purchase a new copy of win xp to get it up and running,  I hope not????  I bought this pc from a private person and win xp pro was on it.  Can I do a clean reinstall??

View Post

Contact this person and get the disk.. they were obligated to give it to you with the system or wipe XP..

No, you don't need to buy a new XP cd BUT you will have to buy a new license from Microsoft and then re-activate the system using the new keycode and activation code you will need to get from Microsoft..

In order to do a clean install, you would need a legal version of XP (cd included) to do it..

Murray

mmboalch

mmboalch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, Thanks for all your help!!!