Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Ram For My Computer

• Please log in to reply

Zanghor

Zanghor

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My Current system is

ASUS K8V-X Mobo
1GB Kingston Dual Channel Ram ( 2 x 512 )
Seagate 80GB Sata HDD
ATI x800 Pro Video Card
480Watt PSU

I am looking into purchasing one 2GB stick of memory. I have picked out what seemingly should not be a problem with my motherboard and setup. I have one open slot available and a maximum ram support of 3GB so no problems there. This is the model number of the Ram stick I am looking at purchasing

TS256MDR72V3K

I just have a couple questions. Can i use two different types of ram in computer? i.e. two Kingston sticks and One Transcend stick? How do i find out if that stick is or is not compatible with my mobo/setup.

Thank you for your help,

Zanghor

Advertisements

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I'm pretty sure you can mix&match any kinda of RAM sticks. I have a HP 128 and a Kingston 128 and i've never hadny problems.:tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

That probably isn't going to work.. Max memeory for that mobo is 3GB over 3 ram slots which normally means ONE - 1GB chip per slot.. Even Crucial only shows a max allowable per slot of 1GB..

The mix and match shouldn't matter but check your manual or the ASUS site for proper configeration..

Murray

Zanghor

Zanghor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you,

I appreciate your posts and will definitely be taking a look into the manual to see exactly what it says about what certain size sticks that I may use for it.

-Zanghor-

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Even the ASUS site gives the 3x1GB requirement..

You can't use a 2GB ram module..

Murray

Zanghor

Zanghor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you,

I have have decided to only order a 1GB stick of Geil ram. Im not exactly sure of the website anymore but this site had a search for motherboards it has been successfully tested on and mine was on it so I am assuming and hopeing that it will work.

-Zanghor-

Zanghor

Zanghor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Even the ASUS site gives the 3x1GB requirement..

You can't use a 2GB ram module..

Murray

View Post

Is it possible that a new BIOS was set out and with this new BIOS my MOBO would be able to support/recognize a 2GB stick?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Very doubtful..

Murray