Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windowx XP will not startup [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I picked up a virus a few days ago and apparently it didn't get removed completely. :tazz: When I turn on my computer it begans to start up but before it gets to windows it goes to a blank screen and stays this way(10+ minutes). The time before that it froze on my desktop. I don't think it would have anything with me getting a new monitor and having old video card settings on it.(Got a new monitor, the day it comes in my computer dies on me :) ) Anyways I tried using my emergency disk that came with the computer but some files couldn't be opened so it wouldn't work. I don't know the exact files but I'm sure I could post them when I get more time. I also tried popping a Norton 03 CD in there to see if it would help it(I've been using AVG) and no such luck.

Thanks,

PS-Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I know it's virus related...or at least I'm pretty sure. Hope I don't have to completely erase my hard-drive... :)

ED:Also no safemodes will work or "last configuration that worked"

EDIT2:
windows\system32\config\TempKey.Log
-------------------------------Default.log
-------------------------------Default.sav
-------------------------------Software
-------------------------------Software.log
-------------------------------Software.sav
-------------------------------System
-------------------------------System.log
-------------------------------System.sav
-------------------------------userdiff

^Those are the files that couldn't be opened when I tried to run my Powerspec Emergency Recovery CD. :)

EDIT3:I got to thinking this might have something to do with this MTV toolbar that installed itself on my computer. It doesn't have anything to do with mtv just a trojan or something. I couldn't find my shortcut (blurry tv screen) for HJT so I just got it off with Microsoft Spyware remover and it was gone. LIttle did I know the next time I shut my computer off it wouldn't ever work again.

THis is in french. SOmething I found...it's interesting...MIght help

http://www.infos-du-...tv-toolbar-help

EDIT4: I may have the win. fixer thing too. I remember having some odd windows thing come up once and it put a thing on my desktop that looked like all the other windows MS-Office symbols(blurry TV screen). Thanks,

EDIT5: I can only get to MS-DOS when I try to use an old norton CD to boot from. From there I can only get my D:(CDROM) to work and a b: drive(???I have no clue) The C:/ Drive gets and error that it's not there.

It's definately this:
http://support.micro...id=1173&sid=182

EDIT6:
I can't do this...
http://support.micro....com/kb/305595/
The Computer has no floppy Disc Drive. Could it be that I could use a CD-R?

Edited by SmokeyBandit, 07 September 2005 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Do you have your windows CD available?

if so, try doing a repair install by following the instructions here: http://helpdesk.its....pairinstall.htm

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I do, but it's from my manufactor powerspec. It won't let me Repair(error it gives me is can't open) the following files...

EDIT2:

I can't get into the mode like that website. It goes to a Powerspec one where I can only re-load the original system files and such. I've tried booting it by puting the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files on a floopey and then using NERO to transfer them to a CD,but it won't take the CD with out going to the black screen like it normally does. So it looks to me I can't boot up even through a CD-Rom. I'm trying to figure out if I can get to the "recovery console." I tryed to get into debugging mode but the screen went blank to then. If anyone has anymore ideas or experience in this area it would be greatly appreciated.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
unfortunately without an actual windows CD, your options are somewhat limited. I'll consult with some of our experts and see if they can think of a solution

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks, I think if I can just get it to the recovery console I might be able to fix something from there. But, that's the hard part....

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Have you tried fixing the MBR?

also, try the resue options here http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/ht/124

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Have you tried fixing the MBR?

I can't do that if I can't get to Restore Console.

As for the rescue options I'm looking into them! :tazz:

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
you can fix the MBR If you boot off of a dos disk

www.bootdisk.com

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

you can fix the MBR If you boot off of a dos disk

www.bootdisk.com

View Post

I can't correctly get into dos. When I can it only lets a and b drive come up which I have neither.

I Have No floppy disk drive! :tazz:

The Knoppix hacks won't exactly work for me due to the fact that I don't have the book. The link your provided unfortnately #71 only has a summery of what it does.

Edited by SmokeyBandit, 11 September 2005 - 11:58 AM.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Okay, what exactly happens when you try to boot to CD?

Advertisements

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
When I use a Norton 03 CD it does the emergency Scan but it last barely anytime at all and it says 1 files scanned 0 viruses. (I don't even have norton on my computer).

When I put the emergency Recovery CD it begans to recover sytem files but it can never open the following...

Any other CD's such as the one's I've burnt to boot they start to boot but the screen goes blank just like when I try to boot from the Hard Drive.

Edited by SmokeyBandit, 11 September 2005 - 03:01 PM.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
can you burn a copy of ultimate boot cd and see if your harddrive is still intact? If so, try using it to rewrite the MBR

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Edited by Avohir, 11 September 2005 - 03:01 PM.

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, I'm going to try to do that, but the directions for that have me really confused.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
what exactly is confusing? Maybe I can help clarify

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well the multiple program thing and the building of the CD, but I tryed to put the files on thiscomputer and the UBCD won't install correctly. It's having certain files not install. :/

Here is an example of one of the files...

CRC failed in plugin \runscanner\runscanner.exe

Then at the end I get this box popping up. "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download and new copy and retry the installation"

Guess I'll have to try to download it for the 3rd time :/

EDIT: I can't get this freaking thing to download correctly...errr...
EDIT2:oh yeah, Finally got it! :tazz:
EDIT3:Now I got this Dr DOS thing to work but I plain out don't know how to use anything else. Oh well, I'll figure it out sooner or later... :)

Edited by SmokeyBandit, 12 September 2005 - 04:17 PM.