Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I am trying to help on this site

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
High again, I am looking for the run command line for the My Window window, sounds stupid I know but I try to avoid explaining "move mouse to, then right hand click, then...", which I hope you will agree is longer and unsetling to someone who has just lost a drive or the like. The run command way is simpler.

I know this thread resembles the others I have posted but at least now if you see that my request is to help, someone might actually reply, I mean it can't be too difficult a question I believe.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Sorry, I couldn't help with that one but here are a couple of others

Dxdiag - DirectX Diagnostics
Control Userpasswords2 - Self explanitory

HTH
"O"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
"My Window window"? what do you mean flea?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
High, thanks both of you for replying.

It is just when I reply to a thread, I prefer to use lines like:

press the windows botton with the r botton to open the run command window
type in the run command window(for example) devmgmt.msc
mouse down to the CD drive
press shift and f10
choose disable.

You see what I would like to do is to avoid where possible the mouse movements because then the machine remembers and when the client opens the run command another time which is what they normally do, they have a hint and gain confidence by it.

What I am looking for now is writing:

press the windows botton with the r botton to open the run command window
type in the run command window My Computer(doesn't work I know)
See if the CD-r drive is there.

This is because some people don't have my computer of their screen and therefore have to go the the start menu, which might be in classical format so they come back with "Where is my computer"

Hope this explains why I am trying to build up a list even if it sounds at first odd.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge there isn't such a command...and "windows" r doesn't work on every machine. the best method is to start with mouse commands and work from there such as:

me: "right click on my computer > manage > device manager"
them: "i don't see "my computer"
me: "ok press the "windows" key and the letter r at the same time"
them: "that doesn't work, i don't have a windows key"
me: "ok go to start > settings > control panel > administrative tools > computer management"

by doing this you not only show a user multiple ways to skin a cat for future use...but you also get to form a picture of their system

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks that reads well and looks clear, two of thing that l like for in an explanation to the client