Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor Set Too High Windows Not Loaded

• Please log in to reply

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
wannabe1, any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
poimhn...

Yeah, I do...hang on a minute while I test an idea....

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok poimhn...

Do you have a floppy drive on on both machines?

Are both machines running XP or is one running Win98?

wannabe1

Hint...While we are working this problem it will really speed things up if you refresh or reload your page often...we can avoid the e-mail notification delay.

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2005 - 06:46 PM.

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
sorry, if anyone is still here, I had to leave for a bit. If anyone is still around I am open to ideas.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

it says I am unable to format the partition the disk may be damaged.  I need to select another partition.  Should I try the one with just 8 MBs vs the one I tried with 19595 MBs?

View Post

Sounds like your hdd may have been damaged somehow.. Do you know the make of the hdd??

If you do, go to the manufacturers website and download the diagnostics program.. Put it on a floppy and boot the system using that..

Murray

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No I do not have floppy drives on both. On the one with the problem i only have a dvdrom drive for input or my flashdrive, at least till i get the network and internet up

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It is an Asus hdd. Ill try to get that and put it on my flashdrive

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, since it's on page 4 of replies, I'll give it a shot. When you re-installed XP before, did you delete the partitions that were listed first and then create a knew one and then format it, and using normal format, not QUICK format. Your partition just may be screwing and that is why you can't format it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

It is an Asus hdd.  Ill try to get that and put it on my flashdrive

View Post

ASUS make motherboards NOT harddrives..

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Okay, since it's on page 4 of replies, I'll give it a shot.  When you re-installed XP before, did you delete the partitions that were listed first and then create a knew one and then format it, and using normal format, not QUICK format.  Your partition just may be screwing and that is why you can't format it.

View Post

Fenor:

If you read all the posts you would know they didn't do that.. They attempted a repair and ended up with a second install instead .. Easy enough to see as they are getting an option to boot into the problem OS and the good OS!!

Murray

Advertisements

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Okay, since it's on page 4 of replies, I'll give it a shot.  When you re-installed XP before, did you delete the partitions that were listed first and then create a knew one and then format it, and using normal format, not QUICK format.  Your partition just may be screwing and that is why you can't format it.

View Post

When I installed XP for the second time and created what I like to refer to as the "alternate dimension" I may very well have done something with the partitions. I am not sure. I didnt really understand the slightest bit of what I was doing. It was late I was desperate.
If my partition is what is screwing up how can I tell and what can I do. ( I am typing all this as I download the diagnostic program for the hdd.) :tazz:

poimhn

poimhn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks murray, I will continue on

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Just boot using your XP cd.. You should see a small message on the bottom of your screen "press any key to boot from cd".. Press a key..

During the setup phase, one of the options will be to remove everything from your c: drive and then another option to install XP on that drive.. Format it and install..

Murray

Umm I know I'm reading this right which was AFTER the repair installation. I read all 4 pages of replies before replying.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Windows Explorer and click on the "+" beside the c: drive..

You should see a Windows folder there.. Do you also see another Windows folder or a folder called Winnit??

Murray

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And I am referring to the complete installation where it says he (poimhn) says he gets a message saying he can't format the drive and asks if he should try using the other partition that is only 8MB, which he shouldn't obviously :tazz: