Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

too long lasting start-up

• Please log in to reply

nervitesi

nervitesi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I switch on my laptop, windows XP Pro starts the first steps, then it stops just before making appear the icon onto the desktop. The HD stops; the CPU speed is 1-2%. This status remains for 5-7 minutes, then the loading process restarts until it is fully finalised... Why this? I have Norton antivirus 2005 + Pest Patrol running.

Thanks for your advice

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have anything which scans the PC at start up, this will delay things

If you have incomplete installs / uninstalls then Windows will look everywhere for all the missing files

Click start then all programmes, click accessories then system tools, run disc clean up, after this run disc defragmenter in system tools

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, type prefetch, you get one folder, open this, click edit then select all, right click a file then click delete, confirm the delete.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

nervitesi

nervitesi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did what you told me to do, but when I run "sfc/scannow", one message appears saying that "it is impossible to retrieve this file". What shall I do?

Thanks, nervitesi

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically sfc /scannow with the space