Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Psguard Problems [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MutMee

MutMee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have looked at all the wonderful help and suggestions on this site and have tried to remove my PSguard infection to no avail. I tried running a scan with www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx and it found, as I already knew, that my wininet.dll file was infected, however when I tried to ask it to cure files it said it couldn't cure or delete them. Whichever way I try to attack the wininet.dll file it denys me access. I have a clean copy of wininet taken from my other computer but cannot copy and paste it into Windows/system. Every time I get "Windows is using this file". How do I proceed?

My Hijack this scan looks like this:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:16:45 PM, on 07-09-05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE FIREWALL\CPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE FIREWALL\CPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CARPSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOTDD01.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AHEAD\INCD\INCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I3S2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ELABORATE BYTES\DVD REGION KILLER\REGKILLTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\GUARDIAN\CMGRDIAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://wer-mit-wem.webhop.net/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: MyWay Search Assistant BHO - {04079851-5845-4dea-848C-3ECD647AA554} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWAY\SRCHASTT\1.BIN\MYSRCHAS.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {ACB1E670-3217-45C4-A021-6B829A8A27CB} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSCSHELLEXTENSION.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C65 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I3S2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C65 Series" /O7 "EPUSB1:" /M "Stylus C65"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegKillTray] "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\DVD Region Killer\RegKillTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\GUARDIAN\CMGRDIAN.EXE" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McAfee Firewall] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE FIREWALL\CPD.EXE" /SERVICE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/s...nfo/webscan.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = www.cscoms.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 202.183.255.20,202.183.255.21

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi MutMee and welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

1. If you haven't logged in go to Geeks to Go and do so. Then proceed to item a.

If you already have logged in, go directly to item a.
  • Click on My Controls at the top right hand corner of the window.
  • In the left hand column, click "View Topics"
  • If you click on the title of your post, you will be taken there
2. Also, while at the My Controls page, check the box to the right of your post and then scroll down.
.Where it says "unsubscribe" click the pull-down menu and select "immediate email notification"

3. Please DELETE your current HJT program from its present location.

4. Download and run the following HijackThis autoinstall program from Here HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!
  • Run HijackThis
  • Click SCAN and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')
  • POST the log into this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER

Regards,

Trevuren

MutMee

MutMee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Trevuren,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have, infact, managed to solve the problems I was facing, by reading through some more of the correspondence from other people. It was the "Kill Box" working in Safe Mode, that really sorted me out. I don't want to waste any more of your time, but thank you for your offer of assistance. I will certainly make use of this site again if I have any more problems... what a wonderful group of people you are!

Mut Mee (in Thailand)

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.