Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek AC 97 Sound Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

UkGunner

UkGunner

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just reinstalled my realtek ac 97 sound card onto my win 98 system using the driver pack available here http://www.softwarep...ities/ac97.html after a reboot the soundcard seemed to have installed fine no yellow exclamation marks in device manager and windows said it had found the new hardware and all was installed correctly but still no sound and when i try to play anything through media player i still get the

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."

message i am at a complete loss and am running out of ideas so please if anyone can help.

Matty B

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You say it's listed in device manager? How about in multimedia? Is it selectable as a playback device? If not you can try the following.....

Enter the setup ( usually the delete key or f1 or f2 )
Turn off the sound in setup.....( you'll have to look as it could be almost anywhere though usualy in advanced )
then..

boot to safe mode ( tap the f8 key before boot up for the menu )
remove any software relating to the sound from add/remove software
then make sure it is removed from the device manager...
reboot to full windows.
hopefully it won't see the sound ( it shouldn't but sometimes it does. )

Now..
enter setup and turn the sound back on.
reboot to full windows and try reinstalling the driver.

the problem seems to be that 98 has trouble with wdm drivers when you reinstall and most drivers are wdm now. IF you can find a win95 driver for your sound that might work better but can't guarantee.

sometimes if you do the above procedure and it doesn't work the 1st time it will work the 3rd or 4th. Good Luck