Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wont boot off cd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chef02

chef02

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi
first time poster here.
after a series of failed attempts at removing many spyware and malware on my computer, i have managed to make it so i cannot load anything now. i went into msconfig and made it load in safe mode the next time, but i never made it into windows again. it now will not load windows in any mode.

i formatted the computer not long ago, so i have no problems with doing it again now to get rid of everything and start a fresh, expect my computer fails to boot off cd. i have checked the bios to make sure it looks to do it and in the start up process it comes up with
Boot off cd:
Boot off cd:
as it checks to boot off both drives, but it keeps going and trys to start windows again.

i have been told that maybe i need a floppy boot disk as it may recognise this better.

so my question is, how do i create a windows xp floppy boot disk that also has the format command in it so i can get in, wipe everything off and start a fresh.

thanks

chef

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Watch your screen as the system boots with the XP cd.. You should see a little message on the bottom saying something like "press any key to boot from cd".. Just do as it says..

Also, this will only work with an original XP install cd.. If you are using one you or someone made for you, then the setup procedure is totally different!!

Murray

chef02

chef02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i was looking for such a prompt, it never came. i tried many a time. and im trying to use to same cd that i started with.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i was looking for such a prompt, it never came. i tried many a time. and im trying to use to same cd that i started with.

View Post

Again, is it an original XP cd with a COA (key code) or one you or someone made for you??

Murray

chef02

chef02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have both. a copy and an original. both come up with the same result. im pretty sure the copy is what is installed on it though.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The only reason the XP cd won't self boot is if it is copied from a legal disk or has been downloaded from the net and burnt to a cd..

Sounds like both of yours meet the above conditions??

Murray

chef02

chef02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no. i have one original out of the box cd. it was bought for another computer though (the one i am on now), so it is not the version that was installed on the bad computer. i had no troubles at all getting the copy to boot up like it should a while ago.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

no. i have one original out of the box cd. it was bought for another computer though (the one i am on now), so it is not the version that was installed on the bad computer. i had no troubles at all getting the copy to boot up like it should a while ago.

View Post

Well, seeing as though Microsoft's EULA states one XP install for one system, your use of the legit disk is illegal and tantamont to piracy..

As well, using the copied disk IS piracy and neither situation is supported here..

I suggest you purchase a legal XP cd and/or license from Microsoft and we can continue your support..

Until then, we are unable to help as it is against this sites ToS!!

Murray

chef02

chef02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
please. i have already convinced my parents to pay for xp, all i need is how to put a format command on a floppy boot disk. i have tested a floppy boot disk and it worked, so i am so close now.
i do understand though and thanks for your time anyway
=)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then., once you get a legal version of XP pop on back and we can keep going.. But, I do think you will be off and away once you get that cd..

As support for pirated/illegal software is NOT allowed here, I am closing this thread !!